Notices

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Aweb View Post
Do you have any plans to also port it to the N900 ?
The N900 runs Maemo 5, also called Fremantle.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/tear/

As you can see here, apparently so. But it appears that the port is not headed up by Bundyo but by Qwerty12, to whom I'm already indebted for some Tear development (specifically, Find on Page; probably other stuff, too).

OTOH, I've heard such good stuff about the N900 browser, I don't see the point of porting Tear to Fremantle. We desperately needed it on the N8x0's since it's so much faster. I can't imagine tolerating my N800 without it. But it has various lacunae, like no Save function, trouble with opening .deb files, problems with highlighting that make it, for example, impossible to highlight a part of a post on this forum and hit the Link icon or the Bold icon to impact what you've highlighted, etc. I haven't used the N900 browser, but if it's all that it's cracked up to be, why have Tear for it, too?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-11-30 at 20:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
I think Webkit's performance i still better than Gecko's, especially on heavy JS web pages such as Gmail and Google Wave, so it's still nice to have the choice

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I haven't used the N900 browser, but if it's all that it's cracked up to be, why have Tear for it, too?
Sometimes it's nice having two different browsers.

If you want to be paranoid, you can do all your random web browsing with one, and more important stuff (financial, web email, etc) with the other.

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

The Following User Says Thank You to jkq For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jkq View Post
...you can do all your random web browsing with one, and more important stuff (financial, web email, etc) with the other...
"Holiday shopping" mode?

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
"Holiday shopping" mode?
Hmm, sure, whatever works for you.

-jkq

PS. After post #2 in that thread, I'm curious if that thread needs to be tagged "NSFW". I didn't look past the first page.
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

heh, 1K posts in this thread, where's the new version ?;-)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The N900 runs Maemo 5, also called Fremantle.

http://maemo.org/packages/view/tear/

As you can see here, apparently so. But it appears that the port is not headed up by Bundyo but by Qwerty12, to whom I'm already indebted for some Tear development (specifically, Find on Page; probably other stuff, too).
Well, that's new I'm doing the port to Fremantle, the debian stuff needed for the autobuilder was done by Qwerty12, though he is not listed as a maintainer of the package, at least in the source. No idea why he is there

OTOH, I've heard such good stuff about the N900 browser, I don't see the point of porting Tear to Fremantle. We desperately needed it on the N8x0's since it's so much faster. I can't imagine tolerating my N800 without it. But it has various lacunae, like no Save function, trouble with opening .deb files, problems with highlighting that make it, for example, impossible to highlight a part of a post on this forum and hit the Link icon or the Bold icon to impact what you've highlighted, etc. I haven't used the N900 browser, but if it's all that it's cracked up to be, why have Tear for it, too?
It has its ups and it has its downs. I still think there is space for improvement both in N8x0 and in N900. I just hope I have the time to finish what I started. I probably will read here less though (20 pages unread for 2 days are way over my free time).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
tear on N810 browses tmo minimal theme faster than microb on n900

UPDATE: Version 2.1 of the script and the package is now available.

I've packaged xiojason's browser-proxy script into a Debian package for easier installation.

Installing the attached package (browser-proxy_2.0-1_all.deb) takes care of all the setup to make Tear the default browser. Uninstalling should undo everything and leave links opening in MicroB again.

Install and uninstall tested on my N800 with Diablo (5.2008.43-7), but I can't guarantee that it works everywhere. Let me know if you have problems.

You still need to edit the script (now installed to /usr/bin/browser-proxy) to enable continuous mode or to change which browser it runs. It also won't disable browserd -- you have to do that yourself if you want to.

The source package (.dsc, .orig.tar.gz, .diff.gz) is in the attached tarball -- you don't need this if you just want to install the script.

I have delusions of getting this into extras sometime, but for that to happen several things probably need to happen:
  • The license needs to be clarified. xiojason, do you mind picking a license for the script? I'm willing to go along with pretty much any open-source license.
  • Either Tear needs to go into extras (the package has a hard dependency on Tear, since otherwise, as it stands, installing it would instantly break opening links in most applications), OR
  • we make MicroB the default browser launched and grow a UI to change the default browser. This would presumably also help out users of Midori, Fennec, and whatever other browsers people use -- but while making the default browser configurable without editing the script is easy (I'll post a patch soon), I have no idea where to start with the UI.
  • The package could do with a name that better describes what it does -- ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: deb browser-proxy_2.0-1_all.deb (4.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: gz browser-proxy_2.0-1-srcpackage.tar.gz (5.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by steven676; 2009-12-10 at 11:58.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i find myself wondering if the dpad scrolling and the text selection jumpyness is related somehow...

Tags
browserd fix, microb killer, webkit