Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
it's the OS

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
BTW guys, would you root your device in case of using android? is it still useful to do in modern android versions to get firewall working etc? (latest android I've used was 5).
I would root my device because I would like to have similar experience like in my N900 was. For example, I would like to reach my device via ssh and copy photos, etc without the need to play with mtp mount for example...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
[...] I would like to have similar experience like in my N900 was.
Hopefully we'll have Maemo Leste at some point...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by British View Post
Hopefully we'll have Maemo Leste at some point...
Yes, we will see it.

However, I don't know if I would use it or not...
...the system itself is missing, but most modern applications are made for Android...

So in reality, Sailfish seems to be a better option but that is also only if it will arrive with Android support...
...otherwise I would loose the support of several service which should be available on my phone and multiboot is not a really convenient option...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
...otherwise I would loose the support of several service which should be available on my phone
see, there's your problem.

services that lock off their api to the 'official' app only and cant be arsed to make one of those outside of android and ios that means every one else can go suck it.

if they dont care about you why should you care about them?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SaiKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
see, there's your problem.

services that lock off their api to the 'official' app only and cant be arsed to make one of those outside of android and ios that means every one else can go suck it.

if they dont care about you why should you care about them?
My problem in one hand and other's problem on the other hand...

Anyway, it is an interesting question... for example, official bank applications are those what you may need primarily (especially in the PSD2 era), including Fintechs. However, these programs are the most problematic ones if we are speaking about even the rooted Android systems... (that may worth another long thread anyway)

...and these service may the less chance to be adapted to other systems and the more you will need them in time... sad.
Without speaking about them, I would not really name any applications I would miss...

So, theoretically, you are right, but practically not really...

On the other hand, I don't really like Android systems, the way it handle 'multitasking' and so on...
...Maemo basically was highly a much better operating system.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
I would probably root it. For example some aspects of car usage require rooting.

@SaiKo nowadays it is not simply just that easy as ignoring them.

Banking apps are good example, not only normal banks but other money transfer applications as well. There is plethora of other apps that you just "need" for your everyday life.

Also Whatsapp is classic example. Where as I and my friends might be able to easily change to telegram or whatever, the situation is completly different for my daughters football team that uses Whatsapp for communication. We all realize that I can't go asking little children to start using apps that their parents don't know. Especially this year we have had some really bad examples of that here in Finland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
there's hidden root option for paranoid bank apps.
I had heard of these but thought they are not that reliable. Quick web search indicates that it might work for my bank as well.

Thanks, have to look to this more closely.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
BTW guys, would you root your device in case of using android? is it still useful to do in modern android versions to get firewall working etc? (latest android I've used was 5).

No, you don't need to have root for things like that (anymore). Just install AdGuard and you're safe from ads, even ads that are inside apps.
For YouTube without ads and background playback (and dark mode) just install YouTube Vanced

I would root my device because I would like to have similar experience like in my N900 was. For example, I would like to reach my device via ssh and copy photos, etc without the need to play with mtp mount for example...
You don't need to have root to have ssh... What are you talking about??

Last edited by HtheB; 2019-08-26 at 15:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
You don't need to have root to have ssh... What are you talking about???!
Having able to ssh to a phone is one thing but if the system hides your own files from you then it makes it useless without rooting...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit