Well to start off with I was happy about the PR 1.3 update and I know there are a lot of thread about it, and I'm not asking for help or anything I just need to vent and share my situation. My N900 said I had to use pc suite to update it because I had conflicting packages, ok fair enough I go download PC suite 30mb thats ok. I install it and run it and go to update, only to be told that PC suite cannot perform this operation and I need to download Ovi Suite. Not too happy about that but ok if I have to, then I find out its over 90mb! Now my internet is quite crap so it took over an hour to download this, I install it then it wont open (after I've restarted my computer). So I repair the installation, it now will open, I had to restart my phone twice also so the drivers would install.

Now downloading the update, Ovi suite freezes while searching for an update so i restart it, then it finally finds the download which is 190 something mb(on my N900 it said it was only 80+mb) so this takes a very long time to download.

So when its installing, it says its going to backup my data(I assumed this meant my applications as well, apparently not), all my settings had been reset to deafault and all my installed software gone, I am now in the process of downloading all my files again, but the download manager has stopped working and says all the install packages are corrupted. So now the pain comes of having to remember what all my desktop screens looked like, downloading the appropriate programs and widgets to get my phone looking how it was.

And from what I'm hearing PR1.3 has very minimal changes, only minor bug fixes and whatever that are hardly noticeable to the naked eye..So was losing all this worth it??

The Following User Says Thank You to lmtlmt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ London
I'm kind of failing to understand the point of this thread and post. What are you trying to say? You didn't backup before doing any upgrade and now you lost all your apps and stuff? Or that you didn't read through the forum for valued information and tips on using or maximising use of N900

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by orion88freedom View Post
I'm kind of failing to understand the point of this thread and post. What are you trying to say? You didn't backup before doing any upgrade and now you lost all your apps and stuff? Or that you didn't read through the forum for valued information and tips on using or maximising use of N900
Are you... are you calling the OP "stupid?" You made me sad.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I think your anger is somewhat justified as I can understand it's really frustrating to have to set everything back up the same as it was before, for what should be a minimal firmware update. From what I can gather this is a result of using PC Suite, updating OTA doesn't seem to result in the same issues. Personally I noticed the threads mentioning these problems over the past few days and I'm still waiting on the OTA update here in the UK for this reason.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
A smarter operating system would have launched the back-up manager and recommended storing a back-up before performing upgrades. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
i did a back up, and it said it restored everything, but it only restored my music and images :/

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Aachen, Germany
You said it made a backup? Great! Then you don't have to do anything manually at all.

I had kind of the same thing: For some reason had to do the update via nokia software updater and after the update some things were missing like the installed applications, my desktop widgets and so on. But getting all that back is as simple as starting the Backup application on your N900 and restoring the backup you made prior to updating. After that all your settings and apps should be back!

Hop this helped you.

EDIT: just read your post from 2 minutes ago. hm, weird, restoring backup worked just fine for me

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
A smarter operating system would have launched the back-up manager and recommended storing a back-up before performing upgrades. :P
Indeed, if you upgrade via operating system, it will do like that, but if you flash the device with os image, operating system has little or nothing to do to prevent user error.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loukkis For This Useful Post:
I didnt go to backup manager on my device, but i went there now and theres only an old backup there that I dont remember making..:S and its only 1.7mb..

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
I'm not sure if I get it, but the backup from the app manager only does a "list" of your apps, it actually does not save your apps and just put it back in place again. Use your backup list now to download everythign again...
Sorry if this is not what you are asking about...