Posts: 127 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Jamaica
OpenMobile is a new company on the application compatibility scene whose primary product, the Application Compatibility Layer, promises to bring Android's large volume of apps to smaller platforms. In the following video, ACL is shown running on MeeGo, where the creators promise full compatibility with every Android app -- without the need for developer modification -- by leveraging Google's runtime environment and Dalvik VM. While support for Intel and Nokia's misbegotten lovechild is first out the door (along with Linux itself), the company plans to introduce similar versions for Bada, QNX, Symbian, WebOS and Windows. Like its competitor, Alien Dalvik, OpenMobile is positioning its Application Compatibility Layer to OEM manufacturers rather than consumers
See Video

Something to read

The Following User Says Thank You to mrwormp For This Useful Post:
Too bad they use the same licensing model.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
How can they promise 100% app compatibility when Android itself doesn't have 100% compatibility.

If you use Android you know exactly what I mean. If you don't just go to Google's website and go to the Market. Check the negative reviews "doesn't work on my Thunderbolt" "force closes --DroidX" ... millions of them!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Yep, fragmentation for the win!

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Call me cynical, but I doubt either this or Alien Dalvik will ever see the light of day or be used in anger.

If it were possible the OS Community would have achieved it already.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
if some thing is in HALT state then the obvious reason would be NOKIA ,nokia is not buying alien dalvik ,otherwise they would have already been here .Even for meego ,if nokia does not want to buy anything ,nothing will be changed what so ever .

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
Call me cynical, but I doubt either this or Alien Dalvik will ever see the light of day or be used in anger.

If it were possible the OS Community would have achieved it already.
It is possible, and that of a feat IMO to implement this on a platform that uses the Linux kernel.
The OS community hasn't made this because it requires lots of time and people need to feed their families.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
How can they promise 100% app compatibility when Android itself doesn't have 100% compatibility.

If you use Android you know exactly what I mean. If you don't just go to Google's website and go to the Market. Check the negative reviews "doesn't work on my Thunderbolt" "force closes --DroidX" ... millions of them!
Maybe their definition of 100% compatibility means if any app works in all range of existing android devices from cheapest to most expensive ones and even tablets then it would somewhat run in ACL as well - 100% compatibility.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post

while nothing is ever 100pct, except in marketing speak, it can be a little easier to make compatibility in software vs hardware. that said, i seriously doubt we will see this on the n9.

Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
It is possible, and that of a feat IMO to implement this on a platform that uses the Linux kernel.
The OS community hasn't made this because it requires lots of time and people need to feed their families.
I just don't understand how the android kernel borrows heavily from the linux one, which means beneath Android is not too dissimilar to MeeGo. Then you have QNX which is something completely different and it runs Android Applications like a charm (supposedly).