Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I would have to say that the Opera browser is my top/chief complaint on the N800, and so far I am just lost trying to use Minimo (and have used the last 3-4 updates 0.2 now). When using Opera many times on various different pages I've had it just lock-up/freeze trying to add bookmarks/favorites, also the almost complete inability to play videos from webpages, this is especially troubling since most websites and the internet in general is such a multi-media playground now. One should be able to go to a site like Comingsoon.net or IMDB or even IGN or Gamespot to be able to watch movie or game trailers.

How about something in the control panel or in the Opera settings for scroll speed ?
(N900-please include more/better buttons/layouts and some sort of a scroll wheel on the right side)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, I don't want to get too deep into particulars on Opera features here... there are better threads for that. I was just trying to unfuzz the dialog over where the problems may be occurring. I strongly suspect that Opera is just too sensitive to certain routing issues, such as timing, and there could be router configuration/signal issues as well.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, time to report on the Finland adventure.

First, specific to tablets: I did not have my laptop on the trip and was forced to live on the N800.
<snip>
The next tablet-specific item may be of interest to several posters here. I was taken to task some time back because I expressed the opinion that not all browser errors were due to the tablet/browser. This assertion was based mainly on my own experience, ie, where I used the same device/OS that others used and didn't experience those problems. Suffice to say that while in Finland I encountered NUMEROUS browser crashes, many fatal (shutting down all Opera windows). Once I returned home to the comfort of my own wifi, they dramatically reduced in number.

As far as I'm concerned, this bolsters what I said before: there MUST be other factors involved, such as routing, ISP config, signal strength, etc. Maybe even the "right" combination of factors. I experienced the most problems while using the Helsinki Radisson's wifi, which had an open signal but authenticated via a web page.
<snip>
Anyway, the good news is that this experience showed me that if the browser compatibility problem can be resolved, the N800 can 100% replace a laptop in the work environment I am developing for. That was very encouraging!

Oh, and overall, Finland was great. I developed leg problems that required brief hospitalization (probably gout they say) and the doctors were great. $150 euros for everything! A fraction of the US costs.

Bad news is, I did not get to visit with my friends in tablet program...

Good to hear from you and your adventures! Like yourself I am finding more and more I am living from the tablet, not by design. It's just happening. I would be interested to know what sort of equipement you have at home. I have a old IBM gateway and it works well for now but out and about can be a pain. Although I've found those AP's that authenticate through a web page generally won't let me on using my laptop, SUSE 10.2. The most trouble I get is from hotels and the least is from coffee shops and ATT wifi hotspots. Go figure. Sorry to hear about your health problems, glad to hear you got it taken care of! Most of all I'm happy to see you got through the last year when Nokia shut down/moved several US locations. Thanks for the updates, I'm following your adventures closely. I was a very good boy and have received an 800 for my birthday but since it's my busy time now I haven't taken time to transfer anything yet.

Best Wishes for the Future,

Peter

Thanks for the post Peter!

At present I am using a router provided by Verizon with the FIOS service. I also had excellent results with my Netgear mimo router previously. My little Linksys does ok but needs occasional reboots.

Originally Posted by TTgowings View Post
I would have to say that the Opera browser is my top/chief complaint on the N800,
How much memory have you allocated for swap?
I gave mine entire 128megs of internal card. I had no problems so far... Perhaps it's just a set of sites that I go to that by default are not to crazy with multimedia... but even youtube works pretty well...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I also am using the full 128mb alloted as well, I have 2 4GB SD cards, 1 internal, 1 external.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Speaking of videos, I was delighted to discover that I can watch CNN videos in ubuntu using totem-mozilla. But I don't think anyone can watch CNN videos on the N800, or is that just me?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Eventually the great internet browsing functionality will migrate up to higher spec Windows Mobile devices eroding the lead Nokia currently has.

Nokia must offer more compelling software functionality on the tablets - an excellent email client (ideally with push email support), calendar, contacts and todo list all of which can be synchronised with common desktop software will make the future Internet Tablets a far more compelling purchase for the masses. Without this functionality they will remain niche devices until ultimately being eclipsed by competing devices that steal the best ideas from Nokia.
Amen to that!!

Nokia will beat them on price.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Nokia will beat them on price.
I hope that's a joke.