Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
You do realise Jolla are shipping hundreds of phones at the moment and I'm pretty sure every pair of hands available is doing it 8h a day...
Actually Jolla is only sending out 400 unit a day. It has been reported that Jolla has about 100 staff in Finland so all hands available would mean 4 units per person per day. Btw, they don't work on Sat and Sun.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Why would they even have relatively higly paid engineers doing packaging stuff that could be done as a student holiday season temp job.

With at least 20 million euros in seed capital + preorder income, hiring a few people for doing that work for couple of weeks shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited by Rauha; 2013-12-18 at 13:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by caa View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before:

The 64GB micro SDXC cards work fine in the Jolla when formatted as standard FAT (i.e. FAT32). The belief that FAT32 is not able to handle such large partitions comes from the fact that the Windows disk format utilities cannot format such large partitions.

However, using the Disk utility in Ubuntu, and formatting as 'FAT' there works fine, and reads correctly on Windows, Jolla, and Ubuntu (and presumably other distros).

(Notice the FAT32 maximum volume size and the note in wikipedia.)

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware it was a Windows restriction. There's still the 4GB filesize limit but I'll rarely hit that.

I've just tried formatting my 64GB SDXC card in my Mac using Disk Utility (I'm on OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks) and that managed it just fine.

I then created a Music folder on the card, copied over a bunch of mixed mp3/m4a from iTunes and put it back in the Jolla. Still no luck. Rebooted the Jolla - still nothing. Hmm

An 8GB card from my C7 worked fine although that didn't have any music on it but the Jolla indexed all the sound effects from Angry Birds just fine.

I'm giving up on getting the 64GB card working for now - spent too much time fiddling.

Copying stuff in to the main storage over wifi is working fine for me. I'm using Panic's Transmit which mounts the Jolla as a disk using FUSE sshfs so it just appears as a disk on my Mac. sftp also works fine. That's how I did it with my N9 and how I'll probably end up doing it anyway longterm.

Getting lots of stuff onto a card via USB3 initially would have been quicker but wifi and smaller cards is ok for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Why would they even have higly paid engineers doing packaging stuff that could be done as a student holiday season temp job.
Well, you do of course know there's no highly paid engineers in finland. Or if there exist such a breed they certainly work in some company I have never been employed in

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
I made a request on their zendesk and logged in a moment ago, the ticket was deleted. That's just sad.
Maybe they have too aggressive spam filtering/cleaning system?

Originally Posted by att View Post
Maybe they have too aggressive spam filtering/cleaning system?
Don't think so. And it was also not my own ticket, but I commented on the ticket (problems with wifi security WPA-EAP ... eduroam)

Edit: they moved it to a different threat it seems:
https://jolla.zendesk.com/entries/29...ect-to-a-WLAN-
---
something positive:

I like the browser, some are complaining, but for me it's fast with most websites and font visualization is pretty to me.
And, as its the first release I don't expect decent syncronisation tools (mozsync?) etc from beginning

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, you do of course know there's no highly paid engineers in finland. Or if there exist such a breed they certainly work in some company I have never been employed in
I edited my post.

'relatively higly paid'

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is sad indeed if it happens so. I have no experience on their zendesk, but I'd imagine no tickes system should just cancel created tickets without an explanation.
I know at least two issue tracking systems which have a feature to remove created tickets and tickets disappear like they never have been there. This feature is used for spam.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware it was a Windows restriction. There's still the 4GB filesize limit but I'll rarely hit that.

I've just tried formatting my 64GB SDXC card in my Mac using Disk Utility (I'm on OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks) and that managed it just fine.

I then created a Music folder on the card, copied over a bunch of mixed mp3/m4a from iTunes and put it back in the Jolla. Still no luck. Rebooted the Jolla - still nothing. Hmm

An 8GB card from my C7 worked fine although that didn't have any music on it but the Jolla indexed all the sound effects from Angry Birds just fine.

I'm giving up on getting the 64GB card working for now - spent too much time fiddling.

Copying stuff in to the main storage over wifi is working fine for me. I'm using Panic's Transmit which mounts the Jolla as a disk using FUSE sshfs so it just appears as a disk on my Mac. sftp also works fine. That's how I did it with my N9 and how I'll probably end up doing it anyway longterm.

Getting lots of stuff onto a card via USB3 initially would have been quicker but wifi and smaller cards is ok for now.
My 64Gb card is formatted ext4, and I need to mount it manually every time I reboot (root, "mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /run/user/100000/media/sdcard").
But that alone isn't enough to see the files in Gallery / Media. I made a bunch of symlinks so that I have /home/nemo/SDcard, /home/nemo/Music/SDmusic, /home/nemo/video/SDvideo etc. This probably isn't the best way of doing this, but it works.
Although after mounting the SD card after reboot, you might need to tell tracker to reindex. There is "tracker-sd-indexing.sh", that seems to enable removable media indexing and restart tracker.

Last edited by DeeGee; 2013-12-18 at 13:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Are you sure that programmers, etc. are preparing FedEx packages?
Jolla employee confirmed on finnish it forums 100% of staff is sending phones. They have below 100 employees for ****s sake.. Thats why its also ridiculous to cry about missing features etc as even in current state Sailfish is a remarkable achievement.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience