Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
just for background, a quote from IRC. Whitequark lives in Moscow and just tried to order a CNC mill from abroad
[2014-01-23 13:04:48] <whitequark> sigh... DHL, FedEx, Pony Express, UPS and DPD don't work with individuals in Russia anymore
[2014-01-23 13:05:01] <whitequark> because customs

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Well, for now, it is all a little like:
[quote]my uncle told my mother-in-law that his 4th nephew heard, that they don't send packages to private addresses in Russia. You know, this far-east asian country[/code]

Mainly, because official custom regulations seems to be in contrary to those "misty" comments.

Personally, I'm sending packages to private addresses in Russia every few weeks (last one arrived just three days ago), and all I can say is that they're prone to *terrible* delays. Russian customers seems to be well aware of that, and I haven't encountered a simple complain. Thus, I suspect that only pichlo will check it for sure, in time Until then, may the FUD be with you, Luke.
---

But, as per #14, I shouldn't be writing any of this, as I'm not going to start worldwide shipping company myself, anytime soon. After all, when you're representing FOSS/FOSH project, positive reactions to friendly feedback become your second nature, eh?

cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Well, for now, it is all a little like:
[DAMN, NO quote]my uncle told my mother-in-law that his 4th nephew heard, that they don't send packages to private addresses in Russia. You know, this far-east asian country[/code]

Mainly, because official custom regulations seems to be in contrary to those "misty" comments.

Personally, I'm sending packages to private addresses in Russia every few weeks (last one arrived just three days ago), and all I can say is that they're prone to *terrible* delays. Russian customers seems to be well aware of that, and I haven't encountered a simple complain. Thus, I suspect that only pichlo will check it for sure, in time Until then, may the FUD be with you, Luke.
---

But, as per #14, I shouldn't be writing any of this, as I'm not going to start worldwide shipping company myself, anytime soon. After all, when you're representing FOSS/FOSH project, positive reactions to friendly feedback become your second nature, eh?

cheers,
/Estel
For sure YOUR comments are NOT of any help. and you better keep your sarcasm about second nature, your historical record regarding that isn't forgotten.
Also it's pretty obvious that you're plain wrong once more, since whitequark DID check, as I clearly posted for those able to read. You claiming that was all hearsay is silly and stupid, and clearly not inline with the "positive reactions" attitude you demand from others.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Actually, I am with Estel and his typically diplomatic post on this. Thanks Joerg for the warning (as also expressed with my use of the Thanks button), but a random IRC post is not enough to exclude a country unless they provide a chapter and verse, iIOW a link to an official statement by the affected companies. And even then I would treat it only as a head-up, not necessarily as a reason to immediately exclude a country.

I, too, have personal experience with sending packages to private addresses in Russia (#17, poimt 7) and yes, the delays are horrendous but potential customers can rest assured that Russia is still on the list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@pichlo,

+1000 for your initiative. While I personally would not want to do what you've offered to do (I don't even have paypal , I can hereby state that should you have any (monetary) losses in connection with your very generous offer, I will, up to some reasonable limit, compensate them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Pichlo,
it only been meant as a heads-up.
Whitequark and PaulFertser are both reporting those problems, both live in Moscow and they reported about their own experience of suffering. For sure this is a too small sample to tell for sure how the credibility-evaluation-algo of UPS or DHL works. Who knows if it depends on city or even street of the addressee.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-24 at 13:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
It has also occurred to me that all these problems that Joerg is reporting are about shipping from the US. So it might be politically motivated, as if the iron curtain has not been torn down completely. I live in the UK and my wife has been sending packages to Russia quite regularly, without any issues other than long delays. One month is the minimum, two months normal, over two months can happen if you post at the wrong time of the year.

As a side note, I bought something from the US on 8 January. It is 24 January today and it still has not arrived. To the UK, a country that is supposed have a "special relationship" with the US. If sending something to a friendly country can take over two weeks, then I can imagine that sending to a former enemy may take forever.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
This is off topic, but I don't understand why some people doesn't listen to native citizens of Russia.
Here is another source. Maybe something written on The Internet will do http://www.trackitonline.ru/?do=NEWS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:
I find it quite easy to understand - different "native" citizens of Russia have different experiences. Some are receiving packages just fine (see ones sent by me, or [b]pichlo[b]'s wife), some are not. What is causing this - be it a political, economical, or whatever else reason, is anyone's guess.

Maybe it's a sign of times, that everyone likes to generalize own experiences, "if it have/haven't worked for me, it surely does/doesn't work for everyone in this country!" [/old moralizing fart mode off]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
This is off topic, but I don't understand why some people doesn't listen to native citizens of Russia.
I find it quite easy to understand - different "native" citizens of Russia have different experiences.
oh yeah, now I see it too ;-P

Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
Here is another source. Maybe something written on The Internet will do http://www.trackitonline.ru/?do=NEWS
http://www.trackitonline.ru/?do=NEWS 2014-01-23:
Express carriers refuse to import goods to Russia.
Companies formed Association of Express carriers of Russia (DHL, DPD, Pony Express, SPSR, TNT, Fedex, UPS) refuse to import goods to Russia.

This is due to the fact that the complicated procedure of registration at customs, which in turn makes it impossible to deliver on time.

Waiting for a new blockage at Russian Post and EMS Russia!
reading this info carefully could suggest that slow delivery still works, but express carriers refuse to import to Russia because of unpredictable delays... Reading even more carefully might reveal that this info is pretty recent. Oh well...
What is causing this - be it a political, economical, or whatever else reason, is anyone's guess.
MHM, sure.

Maybe it's a sign of times, that everyone likes to generalize own experiences, "if it have/haven't worked for me, it surely does/doesn't work for everyone in this country!" [/old moralizing fart mode off]
/Estel
yeah, we finally clearly see how everybody but you is generalizing in here Please will you consider to forgive us?

sorry to annoy you by quoting facts that explain why GolDeliCo can't include some destinations to the list, sure we better should listen to you and your superior insight of how stuff works.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-25 at 04:04.

Tags
neo900, shipping