This calls for Firefox OS section.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
looks so unintresting..

The Following User Says Thank You to 3dgneto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This calls for Firefox OS section.
As FireFox OS is also built on Linux, perhaps it could share a forum with Tizen?

If they throw us some sponsorship money of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
It's openly developed unlike Tizen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Any info about native development for this OS (Qt, SDL, Python, etc.) ? I guess if they want some playable (3D) games, they would have to enable that one way or another.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who cares about the hardware? It's all about software.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Any info about native development for this OS (Qt, SDL, Python, etc.) ? I guess if they want some playable (3D) games, they would have to enable that one way or another.
Quick reply...
It seems that applications on Firefox OS are HTML5 apps. And about 3D games... http://html5games.com/tag/3d/ Don't know whether they are playable, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
"You can't write anything in c" were the exact words this Saturday on FirefoxOSAppDays. On the other hand I like that they push HTML5 as an app framework. It'll only make it better if they succeed.

BTW

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Yeah, Firefox OS goes for pure virtual environment (i.e. with JavaScript VM). No native code.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
It seems that applications on Firefox OS are HTML5 apps. And about 3D games... http://html5games.com/tag/3d/ Don't know whether they are playable, though.
Well, it is expected they will be eating their own dogfood. But the question is if you are forced to only write applications in HTML5 (didn't work very well on WebOS), or if you can also run & distribute proper native applications that can be ported from other platforms & use the many existing multiplatform libraries (Qt, imagemagic, SDL, etc.).

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Yeah, Firefox OS goes for pure virtual environment (i.e. with JavaScript VM). No native code.
Of course there is native code - I'm 100% sure there is no CPU that executes Javascript & HTML5 on the metal.
All the stuff that renders HTML5, runs the Javascript interpreter, exports APIs, the telephony framework and the whole sandbox management is definitely not written in either Javascript or HTML5.

Tags
boot to gecko, firefox os, lg fireweb