Notices

I just 'upgraded' from a Treo 650 running Palm OS to the Nokia N900 and this looks like it could be useful, but I need to be able to get my old notes in. Has there been any progress on text file import or export? I can live without proper synchronisation, I just want to be able to do it as a one-off.

Failing that, any hints on the the feasibility of grabbing the file (?) used internally to store the notes, so I can export it to my PC, hack some temporary program up to import my notes and copy the file back onto the N900?

Cheers.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by zorn View Post
I just 'upgraded' from a Treo 650 running Palm OS to the Nokia N900 and this looks like it could be useful, but I need to be able to get my old notes in. Has there been any progress on text file import or export? I can live without proper synchronisation, I just want to be able to do it as a one-off.

Failing that, any hints on the the feasibility of grabbing the file (?) used internally to store the notes, so I can export it to my PC, hack some temporary program up to import my notes and copy the file back onto the N900?

Cheers.
Currently the data is stored in a database. I'm not a fan of databases so that might eventually change but it does limit doing a hack.

Could you provide me examples of what you want to be able to import and I'll look at an option? it may be a few days as right now I am on vacation till the end of the week with little time to recover before more vacation end of next week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Currently the data is stored in a database. I'm not a fan of databases so that might eventually change but it does limit doing a hack.

Could you provide me examples of what you want to be able to import and I'll look at an option? it may be a few days as right now I am on vacation till the end of the week with little time to recover before more vacation end of next week.
Wow, that was a quick response! :-)

I can munge the data as required if it makes things easier, but for what it's worth the raw data is what comes out of jpilot (a Linux program which syncs with the Palm OS builtin apps). The text export from that generates a text file like this:

Memos exported from J-Pilot 1.6.2.9 on 08/04/10 21:01

Memo: 1
Category: Unfiled
Private: No
----- Start of Memo -----
This is the text of memo 1
----- End of Memo -----

Memo: 2
Category: Unfiled
Private: No
----- Start of Memo -----
This is the text of memo 2.

Of course, it can have multiple lines.
----- End of Memo -----

In an ideal world I would be able to import such a text file. I don't really care about importing the category (jpilot seemed to lose it occasionally, so I stopped really using it) but obviously it would be nice. And I guess the private/not-private distinction doesn't exist in Quicknote, so that's irrelevant (though on a different note, it might be a nice extra feature).

Anyway, if you can help that would obviously be great, but please don't go out of your way. I should probably download the source and see if I can hack something in myself. (I just wanted to do that kind of thing *after* I got the basic functionality all working, so I didn't feel any self-imposed pressure.)

Cheers, and I hope you're enjoying your vacation. :-)

can i export my notes??(gonna reflash my device)

Originally Posted by rebelnoob View Post
can i export my notes??(gonna reflash my device)
When I get around to my Quicknote rewrite (like I've done to my other apps) I'll improve the situation here but until then the file to grab is "~/quicknote.s3db"

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
Hi......this will help. Thanks but I have a small request: Is it possible to export all/some notes into csv or similar format ?? My fear is that I can't restore the data to anything other than quicknote. I'm not very good with databases....

I lost my phone recently....& luckily it was returned (phew)....but for 2 days I was without my quicknotes...so I'm now determined to export them somehow.

If you're working on an export function (email into evernote??!?) then I'll wait for that....otherwise I have to get them off somehow !?!?!

I love the ability of Quicknote to make offline notes so quickly....thus making the evernote client a non starter since my network coverage is so poor.

Hope you can help ??

Regards,
Sam

The Following User Says Thank You to HomesIckAlien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HomesIckAlien View Post
Hi......this will help. Thanks but I have a small request: Is it possible to export all/some notes into csv or similar format ?? My fear is that I can't restore the data to anything other than quicknote. I'm not very good with databases....

I lost my phone recently....& luckily it was returned (phew)....but for 2 days I was without my quicknotes...so I'm now determined to export them somehow.

If you're working on an export function (email into evernote??!?) then I'll wait for that....otherwise I have to get them off somehow !?!?!

I love the ability of Quicknote to make offline notes so quickly....thus making the evernote client a non starter since my network coverage is so poor.

Hope you can help ??

Regards,
Sam
Sorry, I've not been putting too much focus on quicknote lately. My plan has been to prepare for Meego by learning Qt by porting applications of mine that push different areas of my knowledge of Qt. Quicknote ended up being on the bottom of the list. I have a strong distrust of databses so import/export was going to be on the top of my list of things to implement. I wanted to wait till then because it will be pretty much a complete rewrite.

I recommend voting on the following bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6479

Now that I'm wrapping up the latest stage of DialCentral work (hopefully I'll finish one more feature) I need to evaluate what I'll work on next.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, epage, maemo, note, quicknote, text