Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, but not via flasher. You need to use mtd-utils. I did it few times. There is no simple way but you can use tools from initfs flasher. This is what I do:

When I like current stable system in flash (after clean reflashing and tweaking it a bit) I boot from mmc and do a backup

Code:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /opt
./mkfs.jffs2 -r /opt -o /media/mmc1/rootfs.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
umount /opt
There is also optional sumtool command that optimizes the image a bit for faster mounting.

Code:
sumtool -i rootfs.jffs2 -o rootfs.faster.jffs2  -e 128KiB -l -n
Any way to do the same procedure from mmc boot (i want to make an jffs2 of my mmc boot then reflash it to internal flash)

thanks

Ilia

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes, it's the same, just replace parameters in first mount with -t ext2 /dev/mmcblkXpX. Then make sure final image still fits into internal flash (<=251 MB for N8x0). See exact size in /proc/mtd, rootfs is 0x0FB80000 = 263716864 bytes on my N810.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
You can disable it altogether if you don't use built-in media player. Search this forum for details, people do it for many reasons. You can remove or rename the /etc/rc2.d/S99metalayer-crawler0 startup script (as root) and reboot but beware that you won't see any media files in built-in player. You can still use it when opening files directly from File Manager.[/url]
Do you know if Canola or mplayer rely on the built-in player? That is, if I were to disable metalayer-crawler, would Canola and mplayer still work fine?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Do you know if Canola or mplayer rely on the built-in player? That is, if I were to disable metalayer-crawler, would Canola and mplayer still work fine?
mplayer is totally independent to the built in player. mplayer would still work, I guarantee it as I have it disabled and mplayer still works :P

metalayer is a process which indexes files, Canola uses its own indexer so canola still works.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Yes, it's the same, just replace parameters in first mount with -t ext2 /dev/mmcblkXpX.
I wish it was so easy...
# mount -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /opt failed

# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt

this was done booting from internal flash.

# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
from mmc boot was sucessfull, yet I did not try to create the image since I feared that it would interfere with the fct that it is booting from mmc.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Ilia

Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
I wish it was so easy...
# mount -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt
this was done booting from internal flash.
you need to insert filesystem kernel modules, check the cloning guide. It is quite remarkable you got so far without tripping over multiple guides suggesting this ;-)
from mmc boot was sucessfull, yet I did not try to create the image since I feared that it would interfere with the fct that it is booting from mmc.
Yes, it is better to backup when booted from different device. When done with active device you may end with some extra runtime garbage in final image but it shouldn't hurt. Just keep the device quiet when doing it. Tablet is designed to recover from random reboots which may leave filesystem is similar (or worse) state. Next reboot will clean things up.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-26 at 11:11.

thanks... but I did have mbcache.ko and ext2.ko.
added ext3.ko and jbd.ko and the mount was sucessful.

Code:
# ./mkfs.jffs2 -r /floppy (I mounted there) -o /media/mmc1/flashboot.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
mkfs.jffs2: /floppy/home/user/.osso/osso-notes/.g_keyfile: Input/output error
#
I tried to use mkfs.ext2 ... but I see 2 problems there:
1) I don't know the correct syntaxis
2) I have no clue how to convert ext2 to jffs2

help please?

thanks

Ilia

Last edited by iliaden; 2008-03-27 at 16:24.

Looks like corrupted filesystem on mmc, file /floppy/home/user/.osso/osso-notes/.g_keyfile is probably not OK. See also kernel log (use dmesg command) after you see that i/o error. Maybe e2fsck could repair it (when booted from flash and that mmc partition is not mounted).

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
will try repairing it soon...

dmesg command returns about 100 lines saying

Code:
menelaus 1-0072: Setting voltage 'VMMC' to 3000 mV (reg 0x0a, val 0xb8)
somewhere in there, there are also ~50 lines saying
Code:
menelaus 1-0072: Setting voltage 'VDCDC3' to 2800 mV (reg 0x07, val 0x29)
this is all.

EDIT!!!!

when this procedure is repeated from flash, I have:
Code:
JFFS2 warning: (1251) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -374
JFFS2 warning: (1251) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -882
JFFS2 warning: (1251) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -354
JFFS2 warning: (1251) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -336
JFFS2 warning: (1251) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -354
the rest of the log does not mention jffs2

EDIT2

SUCCESS!!!!!

after repairing the ext2, the entire process went perfectly.
time to reflash (size of file 213 mb)

EDIT3 (too lazy to create new posts)
new problem reported: after reboot, (not reflash), all the kernel modules disappear, and I need to reinsert all of them. Note: this problem is only noted on the flash.

any way to solve this, or do I need to create an automatic script?

thanks

Edit 4: reflashed successfully. thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited by iliaden; 2008-03-28 at 02:00.

new problem reported: after reboot, (not reflash), all the kernel modules disappear, and I need to reinsert all of them. Note: this problem is only noted on the flash.
any way to solve this, or do I need to create an automatic script?
if you want ext2/ext3 modules (or any other modules residing in initfs) inserted even when booted from flash and don't want to create another script, you can tweak bootmenu.conf to insert it at boot time (just like with items that boot from mmc). For ext2 add
Code:
MENU_1_MODULES="mbcache ext2"
I'm not sure how useful it is, though.