There seems to be typo, desktop file should be

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Python SBar
Type=python
X-Path=pystatbar

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Ah-ha! I was wondering about that j... Thanks for the help, works great now!

This might be my favorite thread ever. Thanks to all.

So where do you find python2.5-hildondesktop and hildon-desktop-python-loader?

maemo Extras repository

Well, I've got extras & extras-devel and I can't find it. I did do an apt-get update.

and you tried apt-get install python2.5-hildondesktop? If that doesn't work your repositories are not correctly configured.

I'm running Diablo too. First find and see if you can get Pyculator running - the home area applet.

Also double-check your indenting and/or spelling is correct - even a cut-paste can alter it, so you might want to try putting it through python just to see if it throws an error up.

Also, for some reason if you go to the Control Panel -> Panels, you must uncheck and recheck the box for the applet for it to come (back) up. I don't know why, but suspect the pyhil code doesn't quite have the setup/teardown quite right for when the statusbar applet is edited, or there needs to be another method or two in the applet for the special cases.

I was wondering if the HomeItem v.s. StatusbarItem mattered in the original (uncorrected) example. I was trying to get transparency to work some other way. I also have it changing the icon when clicked and am working on starting the GPS and displaying a miniature satellite/lock status for the icon. I'm also requesting a 40x40 button (the area seems 40 wide by 50 high, but the height includes some margin/border).

Thanks again!

Just to get it from my mind.
Great thread with very interesting informations.
Keep up the good work.

May I impose on your code wizardry once more - how about a taskbar item. I'd like to replace Contacts with a shell program launcher or something similar.

Changing Statusbar to Taskbar (and adding an appropriate desktop file under the hildon-navigator directory, Type=python) makes it recognized in Panels, but no icon, and the taskbar shifts up. I didn't put a menu in (yet) so that might be the problem.