Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I have no idea how desirable this scenario is but, as I previously said, it is not likely to generate enough donations to even bother implementing the needed infrastructure.
Ovi has an infrastructure in place already. You have registered developers, registered users, a catalog of apps and a payment framework. You have also a delivery channel for free applications. Getting a first implementation allowing voluntary payments for free apps doesn't look like a huge amount of extra work.

I guess it's clear to everyone that a donation system is not a substitute of your salary, and not even a full return of investment. If you really care about monetary income for your software then go commercial.

Also note that Mozilla, Ubuntu, GNOME, KDE, Wikipedia, CreativeCommons and etc have all Donate buttons linked to PayPal and the likes...

... but now it's me not putting ideas in the Brainstorm! I want to shake things more than pushing them directly. At the end I'm not a developer myself.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Ovi has an infrastructure in place already. You have registered developers, registered users, a catalog of apps and a payment framework. You have also a delivery channel for free applications. Getting a first implementation allowing voluntary payments for free apps doesn't look like a huge amount of extra work.
Yes, but, if I understand things correctly, you still have to extend HAM with dialogs to enter payment method information, requests to make a donation, and code to interface with Ovi. To me, it looks like a sizable amount of work, way more substantial than fixing Modest in Diablo, for example.

Maybe implementing this system in such a way, that it can later allow for commercial apps, would be a better idea: this way you kill two rabbits with a single shot.

I guess it's clear to everyone that a donation system is not a substitute of your salary, and not even a full return of investment.
Well, my original point is that not only donations not a substitute for the salary (kinda obvious) but they are not even something to be bothered with.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This fictional scenario looks more for Harmattan times, and an application manager based on Qt needs to be written from scratch for that...

This is another problem of brainstorming: sometimes people have different timelines in mind.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
What dev tools Maemo has, like IDE, nice and friendly IDE Integrated Dev Env....? For C++?

When will be Java supported?
Nokia's strategy is Web Runtime (WRT) and Qt. Java, Python etc. (and Gtk+ eventually) will work (as Python does well), but they'll come from the community (e.g. Jalimo).

I'd love Java (or a decent speed, good IDE, easily debugged & deployed environment) to be available for Maemo, but it's probably Python & Gtk+ (and then Qt using PySide).

A slide from the "Developer Experience" at Nokia World which has just gone up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30863507@N02/3884352142/

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Also:

"N900 will have [some] content through Ovi Store"
-- Nokia World slide

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I guess it's clear to everyone that a donation system is not a substitute of your salary, and not even a full return of investment. If you really care about monetary income for your software then go commercial.
Ok, that commercial/donation thing got mixed up a bit in the thread. So we're not talking about applications that have a little $ by their icons, but how to get donations to OSS projects. In any case, there two basic points that does not change A) it has to be simple for the user B) it has to be fair (efficient if you wish) for the developer. What do I mean under fair ? That it takes into account the factors I mentioned above - donator fatigue and large project cutoff. I seriously wish this works out but it's hard to shake the bad desktop experience with donations.

This fictional scenario looks more for Harmattan times, and an application manager based on Qt needs to be written from scratch for that...
Then I strongly suggest that you implement all payment scenarios at the same time: 1) full version -> payment (aka donation), 2) demo version -> payment -> full version, and 3) payment-> full version. Even if you have no immediate plans to use options 2) and 3), it will probably be easier to do them all together rather than bolt them on later.

What do you mean about implementing all payment scenarios at the same time? Ovi has a payment framework already today.

What do you mean about implementing all payment scenarios at the same time? Ovi has a payment framework already today.
I mean that the Harmattan HAM should support following three scenarios:

1. When installing donation-supported app, let user install the app, but show a dialog asking for one-click donation.

2. When installing commercial app without demo, show a dialog asking for one-click purchase, install only if purchase made.

3. When installing commercial app with a demo, show a dialog asking for one-click purchase or offering to install demo, install full version if purchase made, install demo otherwise.

These three scenarios have to be supported in HAM and they also have to be supported by the repository, where an extra tag should define the distribution status of each package. You can easily notice that all three scenarios are very similar, so it makes perfect sense to implement all three at once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
If the donation after the use of OSS does not seem to convince many, why not go upstream? Before the creation of software?

Perhaps someone has already thought, but I presented this idea here (in French): http://www.maemofr.org/node/1032

That it's, broadly, the idea:

When a user searches for specific software and it doesn't exist for Maemo, he makes the request in a section dedicated in a website and make a donation for make it. All users who are interested could also make a donation.
When a developer thinks that the sum of money corresponds to the requested work, he developed the software.
If the software matches the demand, it's good and FOSS*, he pocketed the money.

So a FOSS is created, not necessarily by a supporter of the FOSS, and the developer is paid for his work.

And users could request:
- A new free software.
- The port of a FOSS from PC to Maemo.
- Adding functionality to a FOSS.
- Revival a FOSS abandoned.

As in this case, the user makes a request: it will have no problem to make a donation.

*FOSS= Free and Open source Software

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post: