First of all i am sorry for posting it in wrong place but i tried a lot and searched a lot but could not get it done.
I want to connect my laptop and n900 and they both are on the same network.
Laptop: 192.168.1.2
N900 : 192.168.1.3

i can ping from both the devices and it works but i cant access the files and folders from either ways.

also when i open the media player in N900 i see my Laptop name in the bottom left side of the screen and when i click on it it keeps on searching and nothing happens.

i want to use certain applications that can control my laptop from mobile .
Please please help me

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by gr8rishabh View Post
First of all i am sorry for posting it in wrong place but i tried a lot and searched a lot but could not get it done.
I want to connect my laptop and n900 and they both are on the same network.
Laptop: 192.168.1.2
N900 : 192.168.1.3

i can ping from both the devices and it works but i cant access the files and folders from either ways.

also when i open the media player in N900 i see my Laptop name in the bottom left side of the screen and when i click on it it keeps on searching and nothing happens.

i want to use certain applications that can control my laptop from mobile .
Please please help me
On N900, in X Terminal: ssh laptopuser@192.168.1.2
Now you can see some files of laptop and probably edit them in vi.

I don't know much more.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
On N900, in X Terminal: ssh laptopuser@192.168.1.2
Now you can see some files of laptop and probably edit them in vi.

I don't know much more.
You've assumed its a *nix based OS or Windows with SSH installed?

More detail from OP on what they want to control remotely/how and their OS used would help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marlon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Most of the people in the world use Windows, windows doesn't come with a SSH server installed. I don't even think most editions come with telnet enabled by default (thank god).

you could install a vnc server on your desktop. Look into MPD or streaming video content? I don't know what you want (:

The Following User Says Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
Most of the people in the world use Windows, windows doesn't come with a SSH server installed. I don't even think most editions come with telnet enabled by default (thank god).

you could install a vnc server on your desktop. Look into MPD or streaming video content? I don't know what you want (:
Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Colombia
Hello friends,

I have problems connecting my Nokia N900 smartphone using the USB cable into the any of the three (3) ports on this notebook DELL 64 bits XPS 15z the phone does not appear. (I tested on different computers and my N900 is connected without problems)
On the phone screen sometimes shows the message “Mass Storage” “PC suite” mode, and the USB connection system symbol appears on phone screen, Try both ways and yet never connects, now appears an additional message phone, “No charging, insufficient power”. but never seen in the browser files of the computer.

Initially assumed that the problem was in Windows 7 Drivers and reinstalled ALL without solution.

To leave no doubt that the problem was the OS, install Ubuntu 11.04 and other districts also try Linux, to install the latest Ubuntu 11.10 (is the best OS) but the connection problem persists.

I connected hard disks, pen drives and other USB 2.0 and 3.0, eSATA also without problems.

Can anyone give me a help diagosticar happens to my connection?

sincerely,

Hello macqs welcome to the forums

There a a few other things to try, although it does seem odd that your PCs are not seeing the n900.

Have you tried installing Nokias software suite from their site? This should come with the software to recognise devices which may help.

Failing that, many prefer to install ssh from the repositories and then install Winscp on to your PC and have full root access to all of the n900s files and folders via wifi connection.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Have you tried your phone and that same cable in a different computer? I'd suspect the cable first...