Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Stylus for almost everything, fingernail for the rest if I can't be bothered to take the stylus out. I never use my skin to touch the screen.

And I've had N900 for over 14 months and never once put the stylus in my mouth (I can't even imagine what's on it), nor have I ever lost it.

As others have said, being right-handed and using fingers is not easy. Most pop-up menus appear to the right of the touch, which means your finger blocks it. Using left hand's fingers also tends to cover the light sensor which makes the screen go dim. So using the stylus seems better for both kinds of people.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I lost my stalus 1,5 weeks ago and have not used the n900 since then. I just realized that its not the n900 I like. It's the stylus!

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
I use mine at times, when fingernail is not precise enough. Well I use all 3 inpur methods: stylus, fingenar/finger and keyboard.

Proud owner of a Jolla smart phone
Check this out !
http://www.jollatides.com/

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
Yep, I had a real need for the stylus today, but I'm not going to use it until I put a screen protector on. One thing about Xournal though is, I was hoping that it would have text writing support, couldn't find it so far.
On the bottom toolbar in Xournal you can select the "Letter" icon, then you tap a spot on the page and you use your keyboard to type and it then shows up as text on the screen, if that is what you are looking for.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
stylus is my right hand exetension. even i dial phone numbers with it.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Very important for me especially with sweaty hands on days and nights...

I am left handed so N900 stays on my right hand while I tap with stylus on the left. I chew the bottom while typing with both hands. I almost lost it one day, but still keep the same stylus for about a year...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
<sarcasm> are there devices with touchscreens and no stylus? </sarcasm>
the converse is interesting question - will there ever be a decent device again with resistive screen and stylus??

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I'd be lost with a capacitive screen ... for the most part I use the flat of my nail for scrolling ... and regularly use my nail for clicking small links ... and my stylus is taken out for a good number of programmes ...

... MyPaint would be pointless without a stylus & a resistive screen ... with the two it's just like drawing ... without it's like very primative cave painting ... (just have a look at the iphone MyPaint app to see the difference in capability!)

And Angry Birds, Airport, Marbles, Tetris & card games are all easier with a stylus!

If (when) I decide that I need a new phone I'm going to have to keep my n900 for drawing if nothing else as I doubt any future phone will have the same capabilities ...

My top applications are SunVox and MyPaint so the stylus is extremely important. I wouldn't find Angry Birds as engaging without stylus control. I basically use the stylus for everything except phone calls on-the-go. I'll be happily with the N900 until the next device comes along that offers a comparable keyboard and stylus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The stylus isn't at all important to me.

Tags
head broken, i need drugs