Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I don't know why resistive screens are so badly reviewed by people. I think the screen on the N900 is pretty good*. Didn't experience much inaccuracies also (except sometimes the media player widget fails on me - but that's not the screen's fault). I think the resistive is really nice to have especially with the stylus so I can take hand written notes and use apps like Mypaint. Try giving your N900 a (little) wax and the screen feels so nice. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70402

*I compared with Nokia C6-01 capacitive Amoled screen responsiveness.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
I'm afraid they won't have any in stock, when this one gives up.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am shocked that some supposedly smart people in this thread can say that the N900 isn't a good deal -- and they don't mention price! Surely price has something to do with it, and the personality of the purchaser must be relevant as well.

I would say that $200 is a good price right now, if you aren't worried about lack of support from Nokia and will take support from the user community.

I personally have hardly ever relied on support from any computer manufacturer. I have often been told outright lies by customer service personnel, which doesn't surprise me since I worked in customer support for years myself and I know what others working in that field are trained to do by the companies that hire them.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
i found ONE brand new still in stock for 420€ here in finland. if i had 420€ extra i'd buy it and keep this one too for spare parts. now that i have n900 it's hard to imagine any other phone for me.
Btw. did the person who started this thread buy N900?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
i found ONE brand new still in stock for 420€ here in finland.
Huh. Amazon here in the US is selling them for $349 (which, given the sad state of the US dollar, makes it about 250€), and it doesn't look like they'll be running out of stock any time soon. Plus, they're giving away a free 4GB microSD card with each N900 this week...

Anyway, here's a link to the Amazon offer:

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Unl...9004021&sr=8-1

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Originally Posted by KetkuFIN View Post
i found ONE brand new still in stock for 420€ here in finland. if i had 420€ extra i'd buy it and keep this one too for spare parts. now that i have n900 it's hard to imagine any other phone for me.
Btw. did the person who started this thread buy N900?
No, still no. Past we the shop was out of stock, but promised me some for the next week (this one)

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Huh. Amazon here in the US is selling them for $349
What? Cheapest one here is still 419€ and they are out of stock.
I'm going to order one if they ship to finland and if i got some money to spare even if comes with US keyboard layout without Ä's and Ö's.
it will still come much cheaper to buy spare keyboard (with scandinavian layout) and change it...

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Just bought another one from J&R Music and Computer World ! I would hate to be without a spare. Lovin my N900 since I purchased it in August 2010 to replace my E71 which I still have. My N900 replaced my laptop and I found myself using my desktop less and less. It was still four and change but no one has them anymore here locally so I took the plunge, ah well, at least I will have another one.

The Following User Says Thank You to louiegoat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by louiegoat View Post
Just bought another one from J&R Music and Computer World ! I would hate to be without a spare. Lovin my N900 since I purchased it in August 2010 to replace my E71 which I still have. My N900 replaced my laptop and I found myself using my desktop less and less. It was still four and change but no one has them anymore here locally so I took the plunge, ah well, at least I will have another one.
Welcome to the "Dual N900 Club".

(Is this what it was like with the Amiga?)

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
I was playing with first android device (G1) and I was annoyed about it's limitations despite I rooted the device.
Example is you can not save a file that you can not open with default browser or make ad-hoc connection. Then I Installed NITDroid but i was also not impressed.
Also Java makes Android resource hungry. It needs al least 1GHz to work good with some aplications installed. Maemo(with some transitions optimizations) at stock speed runs perfect.

Maemo is far more superior. With Easy Debian you have access to whole repository, so you can get almost any application you want.
Of course there is many great native programs made by members of this forum.
You can always install NITDroid to have some properitary stuff that are not available, like lotus notes etc.

I have N900 for more than year and still I can not find anything better. I don't need super fast processor and more RAM cause everything is optimized for N900 since it is only device with maemo 5. FM transmiter became a thing that I can not do without now.

Only one interesting alternative is palm pre.
Unfortunately I never seen one in Poland so I had no opportunity to play with it.
WebOS seems to be not bad but pre hardware is no so good.

I already convinced two non-tech people to buy N900 and they love it(I did some configurations for them)

You should check stuff like ebay. It is really not so expensive now.

The Following User Says Thank You to hardkorek For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, hell no, just shoot me, pros and cons