Notices

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Alaska
i believe that this may be entering the realm of a modified hildon-desktop, but maybe there is an easy way to do this...pretty much what i would like to know is if anyone has come across a way to disable the long tap to edit desktop (maybe have it locked in the system menu or something), as i find myself accidentally unlocking it and then **** gets moved around or deleted. no biggie, just kinda annoying, you know...

alternately, if the user had easy control over the tap on the desktop functions, possibly adding a shutdown and reboot tabs next to the unlock desktop gear thing which would mimic it's current behavior (i.e. tapping the desktop gives you the option of edit desktop, reboot, or shutdown for the typical 5 seconds, or whatever) would be very clever. thanks in advance.

You can install Matan's modified-hildon-desktop.
One of the gconf keys is for disabling edit, but I believe it disables editing entirely whilst the key is true/false.
Some threads discussing the other things it can do can be found
Here, here and here.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Alaska
thank you. yeah, i had read earlier that Matan's modified-hildon-desktop contained a disable edit function. a consideration i had made, but decided i didn't want the full modified desktop package. i was more interested in a hack specific solution though. i'll keep plugging around and see what i can come up with. thanks again.