Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
@ momcilo Your dammm right we want FIXES ! have we not had enough of the NOFIX situation with Nokia?.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
@ momcilo Your dammm right we want FIXES ! have we not had enough of the NOFIX situation with Nokia?.
It is not jus about NOFIX, it is about the ability of community to steer, and not to be steered.

The question for all, what do you prefer:

or this:

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-21 at 11:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
IF the community has to rely on any company for anything at all then it will fall flat on its face for sure.

One thing this community HAS learned from Nokia , should be never to have to rely on another team to do the work.

OK i will edit this post to say they SHOULD have learned from the fiasco with Nokia .

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-21 at 11:36.

IF the community has to rely on any company for anything at all then it will fall flat on its face for sure.

One thing this community HAS learned from Nokia , should be never to have to rely on another team to do the work.
I think they have not learned. Old oxen have either learned the truth and stayed away from it, or they've became part of the system.

The young ones still see only the single device in a time, and diligently pull( ) the carts.

We will soon learn if this is still true.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-21 at 11:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
There seem to be two separate major requirements:

1) Those of us still using N900 phones want somewhere to discuss them, get software for them, put software we develop for them, etc. This is a declining but still sizeable user community.

In my view, we should be encouraging Nokia to keep funding Maemo.org to do that but if/when they decide to stop we should be planning on how to continue. Exactly how that happens will depend on when Nokia pull the plug and how large the community is at that time. My guess is that the main things to worry about at that time will be the forums and the repositories, and the CSSU. Things like the autobuilder, the promotion process and garage could all be dropped, along with karma, planet and several other things. It could probably become small enough that no funding is needed -- one or two community members would probably be willing to fund the limited infrastructure needed (like many other small hobbyist communities work).

2) Does Maemo have a future on other devices, either alone or merged with other projects (MeeGo, Cordia, whatever)? Personally, I think the answer is no. When my N900 dies I plan to revert to what I had before the N900: a small and fairly dumb phone and a fairly small (pocketable) tablet which tethers via the phone.

My view is that no one is going to make a great phone and open up its software: the phone market is just far too cut-throat, with massive development costs and risks and further consolidation so there will only be three or four companies left with the ability to make a great phone.

But I think the tablet market will be much more open, with many more manufacturers, offering devices in different form factors and targetted at different markets. I think some of those will offer good, inexpensive, pocketable tablets and will be looking for cheap software for them. That will allow much more open and hackable software. What will that be? It probably won't be Maemo. It might be MeeGo (that seems to be where Intel are taking MeeGo). Or it might be something else. I plan to join whichever community meets my needs best at the time.

Of course, my personal views don't stop anyone from trying to make Maemo into that future OS, or even stop anyone from believing that there can be a future open phone OS. But I won't be offering any support for that. I am looking only to my first point: how do we continue to support the shrinking N900/N810/770 user community. I would like council candidates to be clear about which of these problems they are planning to address.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
I would like council candidates to be clear about which of these problems they are planning to address.
I hope ALL of them .

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
My guess is that the main things to worry about at that time will be the forums and the repositories, and the CSSU. Things like the autobuilder, the promotion process and garage could all be dropped, along with karma, planet and several other things.
Dropping the autobuilder and garage!!!!!? Are you nuts????
We can't drop garage without migrating everything there to sourceforge or berlios or somewhere else, which is a huge task by itself, and how would we upload new software to the repos without the autobuilder?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Dropping the autobuilder and garage!!!!!? Are you nuts????
No, it is a serious proposal. Only after Nokia decide they are not willing to continue funding them, of course.

Neither is needed -- plenty of other projects manage without them. There are plenty of garage alternatives on the Internet and developers can build their packages themselves and upload them directly to the repository.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
It is time to fight back, time to call Elop's bluff and attack Nokia, raise the flag in this community i say and let the battle commence !.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
It is time to fight back, time to call Elop's bluff and attack Nokia, raise the flag in this community i say and let the battle commence !.
Yes, and let the money flow cut off even earlier. Great idea! Revolution!

(or was that called suicide..)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)