Bye bye Ubuntu, and in particular the Debian universe and .debs...

Glad I held off getting the Nokia Maemo 5 device (aka N900). Not that I ever expected Nokia to start providing longer-term support for Maemo than what they've shown in the past, but if N900 doesn't run Maemo 6 ^^^ Meego like a champ... uh.

Likely there won't be any more resources thrown at this joint project, but apparently Intel and Nokia will try coordinating their existing resources more effectively.

What I find to be a potential conflict of interest is that Intel, handling the core OS, has in their interests to favour x86 over ARM while Nokia has in theirs to favour handheld devices (probably just mobile phones) over larger devices like netbooks and plain tablets.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by R-R View Post

So yes the RPM move is really stupid as dependency has always sucked with RPM and it's a shame as every major community oriented distro is DEB based.
I disagree. RPM got a bad rep due to the very shoddy work Red Hat used to do in their repositories and because people used to grab RPMs from all over the place that would break their setup. There is nothing technical that prevents and RPM based distro to be as solid as a Deb based one. In fact, I have been running PCLinuxOS, which as RPM based distro, for years and I still have *never* had any dependency issues. I cannot say the same thing for my escapades with Kubuntu.

[OT_to_answer_your_incorrect statement]
And by the way, PCLinuxOS is a community oriented distro and a very popular one at that. Form many months it was at the top of the Distrowatch site. It dropped from there gradually due to Texstar's sabbatical, but he is back in full force. PCLinuxOS 2010 is going to be something to behold. Just watch.
[/OT_to_answer_your_incorrect statement]

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
A quick comment since this obviously also affects the Mer project. MeeGo seems to satisify all of the hopes I had when I wrote the original Maemo Reconstructed proposal.

It has a proper governance, it has structure, entry ways for developers to participate, proper development environments, it's fully open source (I think there's exceptions with HW support) and many other positive things. It is completely new land and we have a very good ability to participate in the process. Best way is not to complain but to join and help shape the future.

If you have been interested in Mer and contributing to it, I would like to say that I will recommend you to participate in the MeeGo project. This does not mean Mer will shut down, but we will be helping out with Fremantle and Harmattan afterlife. If there's no indications of MeeGo on N900, this would obviously be an area that Mer would be helping out in - to get N900 support added to the platform.
Harmattan? Why should the so-far-unreleased Harmattan have a *life*, let alone an afterlife? Continuing development for Diablo, Fremantle, and Mer I can understand, but why would anyone put resources into Harmattan at this point?

This is all very good news. Qt is the new Maemo. The Prospect of an OS that runs on my laptop AND my Phone is net new. A common dev platform makes that even better.

RPM works great on Open SuSE that I use daily. There is already Alien to convert between debs and RPMs so dont expect much real change.

You have to remember the reason that Moblin Switched from debs to RPMs, and that was to support licensing options in the format. This will give greater support to commercial devs, which will drive Linux more into the mainstream.

The community can only grow from here, I for one am sticking around .

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
GeraldKo: getting apps ready, particularly that take advantage of new framework ideas and features, takes a good deal of time, and the earlier you start the better.

The Following User Says Thank You to solarion For This Useful Post:
My 2¢: I welcome the move, provided things are as open or more so than with maemo. Maemo's not been perfect in terms of Freedom (note the capital), but it's been lightyears beyond other platforms in the mobile space. I hope this continues. In particular for me, I hope to keep having good access to floating-point accelerators (DSP, GPU, etc.) So I'm hopeful (but also cynical, from years of bitter experience.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Hilchenbach, Germany
Originally Posted by kirangp View Post
well..I am very much puzzled as how this will do good to the N900 and all the development going on for Maemo? What will happen to developers who are on the verge of starting development for Maemo or who have already started? Nokia just left n900 users in the middle of the sea cause no developer will want to develop any applications for Maemo now
Why do you think that? Mego application development will be based on Qt. Qt is also the recommended way to develop new applications for Maemo. And since Qt now also runs on Symbian developers will be able to target a rather large number of mobile devices and not just the N900. So isn't this rather an improvement?

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
You have to remember the reason that Moblin Switched from debs to RPMs, and that was to support licensing options in the format. This will give greater support to commercial devs, which will drive Linux more into the mainstream.
This is non-sense, you can easily add an XSBC-License field to debian/control with a license name. Or you could use dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ for debian/copyright files and index them.

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jak For This Useful Post:
I'm pretty sure MeeGo will be running on the N900. Simply because MeeGo will be multiplatform, why not supporting the N900 then ?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Wow. This sounds exciting from a larger standpoint... not sure what to make of it from a personal perspective..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war