Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
no, but is sw development and hw pins are the same (but different position) making new product is super easy, r&d would be very low and prices would drop.
Well, most TOH parts are 3D printed, so it indeed shouldn't be that hard as long as the non-3D printed stuff fits with the rest. Welcome to the future!

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
See my numerical calculations bechmarks of NumPy comparing 3 note/netbooks and 6 tablets & smartphones. Jolla smartphone is faster than Nexus 4 in 3 of 4 benchmarks (both using 1 CPU core and Sailfish OS) . In 2 of 4 benchmarks, Jolla smartphone is faster than a Asus 1005HA netbook.

Compare how little RAM Sailfish uses with Android, how little battery drain, etc. Sailfish has many advantages over other Mobile OS.

I also think that Jolla needs to release Jolla 2 smartphone in 2015 to attract new Sailfish users. But not everybody needs/wants to upgrade every year. For example, my Nokia N9 from 11/2011 still works very well, including its battery, multitasking, etc. I also expect to use my Jolla smartphone for some (2-4) years.
This is getting offtopic so it'll be my last post on the matter, but:

- Benchmarks can be deceptive. Sailfish may have some theoretical performance advantages, but in practice I don't think they're really there yet, and it wants better hardware. I have a Nexus 4 (bought primarily to try Sailfish on). On stock Android, and certainly on CyanogenMod there is just nothing like the level of stutter and frame drops that there are on the Jolla, and few if any performance related hangs. It's a much smoother experience. Also, bear in mind you're comparing a now 2 year old phone which operates at 1.8x the Jolla's native resolution, with an OS that has a higher baseline of resource consumption than Sailfish and with a SoC that provides similar benchmark results on Android. Also, the Nexus 4 was £135 when I got one 3 months ago, before it was discontinued ... Jolla even with the €100 discount is ~£205. If anything your benchmark results paint a dull picture for Sailfish and make an argument for better hardware.

Sailfish with 1.1 is starting to eat more RAM. Also, given the poor situation with Sailfish apps, Dalvik is a reality that most users will contend with. This ups RAM requirements significantly. Moreover, 2-3GB of LPDDR3 or even LPDDR4 (LPDDR2 in Jolla) is not expensive or difficult to put in a mobile device.

Battery drain is gigantic on the Jolla in a number of apps and usage scenarios. I think any advantage you cite is again theoretical. For example, the Browser (a car crash in itself) is way more power hungry under normal conditions than Firefox is in Dalvik on the Jolla. It's also slower, suffers constant freezes and hangs and even takes longer to open. Albeit I haven't tried it with the 1.1 improvements, so perhaps it's a little better now.

Unfortunately my N9s (I had 2) have not fared so well. I wanted to move back to one when 1.0.7 completely wrecked any semblance of useful connectivity on the Jolla for me, whilst I was on holiday. Fortunately, 1.0.8 was released the morning after I got back, and gave me a useable device again. I say fortunately, as the USB/charging port on one N9 no longer works without a huge amount of coaxing, and the other one won't boot at all (it had only been used for about 3 months). Both were manufactured by the Chinese OEM, rather than the minority which were manufactured in Nokia factories.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
How will the campaign start play out?

1. A new countdown
X. Dirk just open when ready
2. Surprise. Anything is possible
You want a new countdown?

You must know Dave999 loves contdowns....

ehh, the kickstarter page is gone?!

The Following User Says Thank You to djbengan For This Useful Post:
Would highly suggest not launching this week. Tomorrow is the end of the working week and any (e)press will be resultingly limited.

If you intend to launch it soon, wait until Monday or Tuesday next week, and have a few e-mails to phone / tech news sites lined up to send out, to tip them about it.

Success of the campaign will partly rely on PR.

Originally Posted by djbengan View Post
ehh, the kickstarter page is gone?!
NOOOOOOOOO!
I mean: Yes, it's gone, and: NOOOOOOOO, it's gone!
Or something.

@bluefoot:
drugs are bad, mkay?
*looks at own post*
That doesn't sound too serious...
- Quite simply. By using it. Without the GPU idle and ZRAM modules from Warehouse, it's pretty piss poor.
No, it isn't. Period.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
You must know Dave999 loves contdowns....
Yes, I would love another one.

Maybe with a twist with image or video every day. (media package.)I'm sure you got cool ideas. (If not this thread could help)

5 days to launch:
(Image or video)

4 days to launch:
Image or video)

3 days to launch
Image or video)

2 days to launch
Image or video)

1 day to launch
Image or video)

Launch

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I'm gonna upgrade to the Jolla Phone 2 unless Jolla does something I dislike a lot or TOHKBD Rev 2 isn't compatible with the Jolla Phone 2.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The stuff you describe above is software, it can be changed easily afterwards to suit all the needs of the user. No need to worry about that.
There's a very important difference between "can be changed" and works out of the box. Does anyone know that better than past users of Maemo and present users of Jolla?
Oh the dreams I had for stuff that would become possible with my N900 in hand... Here and now, my questions are not about the dreams!
Hence, forgive me Dirk if I ask again if you didn't miss my previous questions, because this thread is moving pretty fast. Any word on the software?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2014-10-30 at 21:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd