Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
this design looks good and diffrent atleast anyway just another newborn touch device. !

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Someone is going to say so I will the bezel needs to be smaller.
Bezels -yep, definitely way too much on each side.

Buttons (Power, Vol-, Vol+) are too small and not have much travel. They would be a pain to get used to.

Not to mention the corners. They can "stab" your palm while using. Won't stab your legs as long as you pocket the phone with the screen towards your body, the angled sides help a little here.

I'm flattered

Ubuntu Edge smartphone announced with $32 million Indiegogo campaign, aims to hit market in May 2014
Ubuntu's smartphone strategy is taking shape today in form of the Edge, which is set to come to market in May of next year, when it'll be available for $830 outright. True to Canonical's community driven roots, the company is turning to crowd-funding to get the device on its feet; to that end, it's launching a campaign on Indiegogo today, which provides early backers the opportunity to snag the phone for $600. According to company founder, Mark Shuttleworth, the Indiegogo strategy isn't meant to compete with its strategy of courting carriers, but rather, it's meant to solve an "innovation gap" that's arisen during its talks with manufacturers.

Key to the Ubuntu Edge is the aim to bridge the cap between mobile phones and PCs. To accomplish that, the Edge will be designed to run a full-fledged Ubuntu desktop operating system alongside Android. While specs are currently tentative, the company is aiming to outfit the Edge with a quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Meanwhile, the phone itself will sport a 4.5-inch, 1,280 x 720 display that's constructed of sapphire crystal glass, an 8MP rear / 2MP front-facing camera and stereo speakers. As for connectivity, Canonical's eyeing LTE connectivity, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, along with MHL support for HDTVs and the like.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/u...ge-smartphone/

Technical Specifications:

- Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
- Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
- Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
- 4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
- 8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
- Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
- MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
- Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
- 64 x 9 x 124mm

Specifications are subject to change.

more under: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

Last edited by RX-51; 2013-07-22 at 15:47.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hope for bigger and better screen. But they are directly competitor to jolla and both going for 4.5 so the battle is fair.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hope for bigger and better screen. But they are directly competitor to jolla and both going for 4.5 so the battle is fair.
The price might make a difference (vs. Jolla), it's $600 just for today and $830 afterwards @Indiegogo

Comparing it to Jolla's device it was € 399 ($ ~510) vs € ~460 ($ ~600) [prices calculated on the 1 day deal]...a bunch of neat hardware in the Ubuntu phone.

Last edited by RX-51; 2013-07-22 at 15:56.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
The price might make a difference (vs. Jolla), it's $600 just for today and $830 afterwards @Indiegogo
Damn what to order...Jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jolla... ubuntu...jolla....ubuntu...Jolla...ubuntu...jolla. ..ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jolla....ubuntu...Joll a...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jol la....ubuntu...Jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...j olla...ubuntu...jolla....ubuntu...Jolla...ubuntu.. .jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jolla....ubuntu ...Jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubuntu...jolla...ubunt u...jolla....ubuntu...Too hard...I need a beer to decide

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-22 at 16:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Even though I want to move away from Ubuntu post-Mir, this is very tempting. I do want to support open source projects, and I presume other distributions could leverage the same binary blobs the Edge will have.

The $600 package is shifting quite quickly though, 70 sales in 20 minutes, so if you're thinking about it, keep an eye on the number of takers, it's 198/5000 when I made this post.

PS, can we change the thread title to Ubuntu Edge?

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Edit to "PreOrder Ubuntu Edge" so nobody missing the campaign if interested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
this is something diffrent