Posts: 103 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Knowhere
I see lots of members posting/donating on "Help *developer name* to develop apps for sailfishOS ", A great help to the developers. But with no disrespect to the developers, the thing keeps me wondering, why dont anyone start an initiative like "Help *developer name* to develop apps for maemo/meego" ? Do these platform are being left by community after nokia too? I mean no new apps will be ported to these platforms? As i have not jolla yet, (and off course no money to buy it), i was thinking to sell both N900/N9 and buy a jolla to have latest apps being developed. I guess its a stupidity. Just wondering.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
Well, we have the coding competition. But perhaps it's time to rethink ?
I think all of us (me, coderus and cepiperez) didn't leave Harmattan - Maemo , but yes, focus did shift some.
Perhaps because Jolla after all is not crippled by Aegis.

On a side note, all can start fx an Indiegogo campaign. Both Coderus and I did on own initiative, mine was raised attention here by another member. Cepi's was started by a fellow member who wants to help (thanks from many for that)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Well, we have the coding competition. But perhaps it's time to rethink ?

On a side note, all can start fx an Indiegogo campaign.
This would be an awesome start to support all the three devices simultaneously.

The Following User Says Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure it's a good idea, after all these indiegogo campains were advertised as sailfishos developing. People spent money in regards of sailfishos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
I'm not sure it's a good idea, after all these indiegogo campains were advertised as sailfishos developing. People spent money in regards of sailfishos.
Yeah i guess nieldk meant totally new campaign for maemo/meego development. No resources will be used which were given to them via sailfishOS campaigns.

The Following User Says Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I suggested crowdfunding development about a year ago and it's kind of started to pick up momentum recently.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...g-development/

One of the suggested solutions is to use https://www.bountysource.com

It's a pity we can't integrate it into together so that alongside voting on topics, you can pledge money for a bounty.

The other thought I had was that the community funds full time developers that Jolla manage that work on projects that the community has voted for.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
One way to get into action, to be able to yourself have a say on the things and get to influence how we should handle these matters is to step forward and run for Council member in the next election.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
What about, say, community-chosen bounties for certain applications that are needed on the platforms? Hard to think how that would work effectively though, maybe people would write half assed applications just to get the prize money. Would need some milestones and stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salamisami For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
One way to get into action, to be able to yourself have a say on the things and get to influence how we should handle these matters is to step forward and run for Council member in the next election.
When i have to say things, i would prefer just posting it in the forum, and expect some member to respond, i don't see any requirement of the council here. Coz creating the apps or maintaining them on some individual platform is the sole responsibility and wish of the developer. Do Council members guide them to choose path for the development? Sorry i have not very clear idea about what council members do actually.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I was more thinking on the lines of organizing application contest. And channeling funds is not out of the question either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2015