I also think it is quite hard to find full-hd Amoled display with resistive? Or am i wrong? - N9 was, and is still better to use than N900 (ok, depends how one use it, but anyway. My opinion...).

This song comes always to my official and qualified ears when i read whining about "...no resistive display, won't use..."

Live for today by Sweet : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAGXY79Yg24

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
you don't need precision if you are gorilla and pressing your device with foot, elbow or at least fist in terms of "next content / previous content" and that's all. if you are using your device for something serious and not entertainment only - why no precision needed?
of course that is needed. My point is that they are precise enough. Pick some keyboard with cursors keys and that's it.
Recent study showed that even majority of note users don't use stylus. I agree that OEMs are tossing turds and gimmicks all the time all over the place but not everything was better 10 years ago.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
I am just wondering, what would be the use case where resistive screen and stylus are must? Drawing pictures on a phone perhaps? What else? Because I haven't found any situation where I'd prefer resistive screen. In old devices with very small screens and non-zoomable views, it would of course be useful to use a sharp stylus and resistive screen, but where else?

I'm using N900 as my daily driver, and regarding the hardware, I'd say the resistive screen is the second biggest minus for me, just after the battery performance. In daily use, I don't find resistive screen very 'precise'. For example, when scrolling a long list of alarm times in alarm clock, it's almost impossible to adjust your finger force correctly to make the list scroll from the top to the middle. It scrolls always either a few lines down or straight to the bottom, but almost never to the middle It's annoying. Perhaps it would be easier with the stylus, but taking it out for a simple scroll breaks the UX.

In modern smartphones with capacitive screens, there is not any very small elements in the OS to tap, so in daily use you don't even need 'precision'. If you think about Android, there is a lot of finger tapping but the buttons are big enough to tap. In Sailfish, the buttons are ofter replaced with swipes, so even less precision needed. Also the bigger screen + easy 2-finger zoom makes network browsing more comfortable as you don't need to press tiny buttons. (Also the sites have became more mobile device friendly but I don't know if that's only positive thing). And when you don't have to use force while swiping, it's actually much easier to make 'precise' moves with your fingers. Also the OS has became smarter to read your finger moves. For example, if there's four small buttons which all of them fit under your thumb at the same time, the OS still knows which of them you meant to tap. I'm not implying that resistive screen lovers haven't tried modern capacitive screens, but if you haven't, you definitely should do. When I bought my first smartphone (it was Motorola Defy, capacitive screen, perhaps 2009) the touchscreen first felt scary. I remember what it felt like when I typed my email credentials to the email app with the virtual keyboard. It felt like "how I ever can press these tiny buttons, as I can press four buttons with one finger at same time". But I could, and got used to it very quickly. The OS was smarter than I first thought it to be. And both the screens and the os have been getting better since 2009. I still prefer hwkb for typing, and because of that I bought the Pro1 But I'd like to hear what are the use cases where resistive screen is definitely needed, although it might be slightly off-topic.

Last edited by Koiruus; 2019-08-15 at 12:50. Reason: typos

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
If you need to draw with precision, just get a Samsung Note 9 or higher.
Kthnxbye

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
But I'd like to hear what are the use cases where resistive screen is definitely needed, although it might be slightly off-topic.
There's a lot of examples in the Look What I Drew on My Phone thread that illustrate the creative potential of the resistive screen. Not that it's impossible to create art in other media, including a capacititve screen, but, like oil versus acrylic, it would be a different work in a different medium.

My other thought is cold weather use. Those so-called "touchscreen compatible" gloves really aren't warm enough when it's very cold out -- at least not for me. I suppose that's the reason that in-car touchscreens and those on gas pumps are still resistive.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I don't draw, yet I believe the reasoning behind asking "in which use cases do we need accuracy?" is flawed. In many cases it's not needed because applications were designed to comply with a lower accuracy, like the zoom to select text in Sailfish (which is way better than the Android system by the way, in Android, accuracy would still be welcome on this point), big UI buttons, gestures, larger screens, and so on. And it works well enough. But still, why would we consider that accuracy is a bad thing and that we're better off now that we parted with it? Browsing TMO on the N900 was great because it was not necessary to zoom in to tap on the next page link. I can't tap on the next page without zooming in now. And since there is no stylus in modern times (capacitive stylus do not improve accuracy, and Wacom digitizers are something very different that will never be included in all screens), I have to guess if the link is still under my finger when my finger obstructs the view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying resistive screens are great and that everything was better 10 years ago. We have to weigh in what we got from capacitive screens, they are cheaper, usually more scratch resistant, very responsive, and they dominate the market so they exist in a wide variety of technologies (AMOLED for instance) and resolutions. The main problem I have with them is they actually are too responsive. There is no difference between barely touching them involuntarily and actually making an action, while a good quality resistive screen did react differently to both kinds of contacts.

I'm still happy with all the phones I had after my N900 and they had capacitive screens. I'm just saying there is no point in trying to tell one technologies defeats the other one on every aspect. They both have pros and cons, which is why it's a shame that we have no choice anymore. Just like mate and glossy laptop screens.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
for me using screen under the rain is enough. any capacitive screen becomes crazy when water arrives.
Do you have N9? I have use that, and still use, in rain and never fail me... Don't know about other phones...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
for me using screen under the rain is enough. any capacitive screen becomes crazy when water arrives. you can never do this to resistive one. the frost is another issue. I've managed to freeze N900's digitizer only once during 9 years. any capacitive screen gets frozen easily and you don't need to to North Pole for that.

but most people don't come out when it's rain or winter so blah - they don't even know about such issues.
That's surprising, I used to live in the artic circle and I never managed to freeze any capacitive screens, despite being outside quite often. Perhaps because I always carry my phone in my pockets, not in a bag. The problem was gloves though, or the inability to use a tool/pen/stylus/key to contact the screen. I know some capacitive-friendly gloves exist, but these are not serious gloves, and no need to mention how inaccurate it can get when wearing gloves.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
I am just wondering, what would be the use case where resistive screen and stylus are must? Drawing pictures on a phone perhaps? What else? Because I haven't found any situation where I'd prefer resistive screen.
Resistive works better in cold climate (and the conductive gloves needed for capacitive screens are not really comfy/warm...)
Resistive work in damp environments, even underwater.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Does the Pro1 support double-tap to wake? (and also does this work in the sailfish port yet, if so?)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit