however, i've just set up an authorised public key in the user account, so now i can log in via ssh as 'user' without needing a password, although I'm not sure how you could generate keys on windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Thanks fnordianslip and mwiktowi...too much complicated for me just to get the N800 and the pc seeing each other..
I am a linux noob, and for me life is to short for linux

Don't give up. It will all be worthwile when you install Linux on your desktop and get rid of windows altogether.

Thanks fnordianslip for cheer me up..but I am a very busy man, don't have too much time to spend with linux.
Also I am a Windows man, I like the Windows "new hardware found...GE Refrigerator...your refrigerator is ready to cold your six pack" stuff. I want to live relaxed, computers are not my work, not my hobby. I am thinking in sell my N800, I bought it because a coworker, but I am founding it is not for me. I can't listen my favorites radio streams (Windows Media based), too much video conversion, can't use MS Office, etc etc.
I was looking for other kind of experience.
Thanks again
MF

No worries. Have fun.

Thanks. I've left my thanks to you. appreciate.

2magnoforte the dirt simple way to transfer files is to use gmail. attach and save as a draft, or any other email, attach and mail it to yourself

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Malaysia
I already installed the TightVNC and the x11vnc as described in this thread but there is a BIG problem still ahead of me. I have been able to connect and view the tablet on my PC (WinXP). Sweet!! But the file transfer button is grayed out

How to activate that. Since that was the main reason I did all this!

Background:
- N800 with Nokia's beta OS2008
- x11vnc installed from the .deb packet following the link given further up in this thread (although I didn't need any "red pill" mode as mentioned there).
- TightVNC latest version as available on their site. Using the TightVNC viewer to connect to the N800 over WiFi at home
- both the PC and the tablet are in the same home WiFi router. Connecting was no problem
- I checked through all the options of the viewer and didn't find any mention of the Filetransfer there.

Getting desperate soon....

Hagar

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I'm using TightVNC viewer 1.3.9 with no problem transferring files. You say you don't see a File Transfer option? It is 4th from the bottom in the menu that comes up with you click the top-left icon in the title bar (not the toolbar) of the VNC window. There's also an icon in the toolbar next to the "Alt" icon.

I wonder if the file transfer window popped up under your VNC window?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
The N800/810, OS2008 should see window shared folders. I have a shortcut to a shared folder on my desktop that I d & d any file I want on the N800, open the tablets file manager, then move the file to a local directory. I leave debs in the windows folder and can launch them from there from within the tablets file manager.
Could not be any easier.