Notices

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
OK, compiled the first experimental test build with N800 framebuffer based video output support (check mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.10 at https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=54). I only added some tweak and it got a lot faster. Screen update is now done from the other thread, as YUV screen updates on N800 are synchronous and ARM cpu was just idle waiting for graphics chip to do the scaling. Unfortunately tearing problems are not solved yet. Also I did not have much time to test this code, so it may still have bugs. Anyway, feedback is welcome, it should help to get N800 support stabilized faster

Once N800 video output related problems are resolved, it should be possible to concentrate on armv6 video decoding optimizations. By the way, upstream ffmpeg SVN already has some optimization for armv6 done, they can be backported to N800 optimized build of mplayer quite easily.

Also we may get a new firmware update with some video related fixes *very* soon: http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2007/02/h...l-roadmap.html

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.10 is looking real, *REAL* good Serge!

The OSD doesn't seem to be working though, and is there any way for mplayer to remember the last volume setting - I'm always having to whack up the volume as soon as the video starts (and the max volume is still a bit on the low side).

The tearing is terrible but hopefully Nokia will fix that in a future firmware/patch - it affects Opera too (eg. dragging a page around) and has been reported by one of the Canola developers as a major issue.

Playing around some more I realise my N800 is using the Nokia770 video output driver which seems to work quite well. However the xv video output driver is repeating frames and getting stuck during playback.

New thread on N800:
Mplayer which version is suitable for N800
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=34709

Last edited by tolou; 2007-02-14 at 08:56.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
The OSD doesn't seem to be working though
Do you mean time indicator? Unfortunately it seems to be broken in 1.0rc1 release, see https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...id=54&atid=269
If you actually wanted to report something different, please provide a bit more details.

and is there any way for mplayer to remember the last volume setting - I'm always having to whack up the volume as soon as the video starts (and the max volume is still a bit on the low side).
Sound volume currently is always set to 50% on start, probably it can be changed to remember previous settings but I did not look at it yet. I'm sorry for being formal, but feel free to submit bugreport or feature request at garage trackers, so it will have more chances to get improved

The tearing is terrible but hopefully Nokia will fix that in a future firmware/patch - it affects Opera too (eg. dragging a page around) and has been reported by one of the Canola developers as a major issue.
Yes, that's the most important issue. I tried different methods to workaround it, but nothing seems to help (a curious thing is that N800 framebuffer driver seems to have some options for enabling vsync, but they do not seem to have any positive effect).

Playing around some more I realise my N800 is using the Nokia770 video output driver which seems to work quite well. However the xv video output driver is repeating frames and getting stuck during playback.
Yes, I decided to make 'nokia770' framebuffer based video output driver default instead on xv at the last moment. It seems to be much more reliable and faster right now. Hopefully the next software update will make xv a more attractive option.

Forgive me, I'm a total newbie to all this... But, I have installed the recommended version of MPlayer, and I'm happy to report that it plays, rather well, in fact, a WMV file I've been looking to play. The only problem is when I skip the play ahead, it will usually freeze my unit totally requiring a total reboot of the system to get out of it. Is this because the file I'm watching is a bit too taxing on the N800 (it's 480x360 and 56bps... it's a downloaded stream off of an Irish television site... and I wanted to see if MPlayer could play it without any recoding!)

I think its because mplayer on the N800 is still a little experimental - skipping forward and the OSD in general can cause mplayer to hang for quite a while before it resumes. I'm confident Serge will nail it eventually.

Serge, thank you so much for this version. It really does work great. I have not noticed problems navigating through the movie, but the one thing I have noticed is that subtitles flicker a little on the very bottom. This probably has something to do with the fact that its using framebuffer.

Just thought I'd let you know, not sure if anyone has tried subtitles on this one yet.

Thanks again. This really does make my day.

Thanks for your work Serge.

Version mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.10 is usable unlike the prior version on my N800 due to the freezing problem. I am still having some slight audio sync problems along with of course the tearing and skipped frames. The frame skipping is really not too bad even on the divix DL.TV episode I downloaded and played w/o conversion.

III was playing a little bit around with the new version of mplayer. I tried three different
files which I recoded with media converter(400x240@512kbs) and all of them have
sync problems. The video stream has a delay of about 1 second. Unfortunetly, the OSD audio delay option is not working, I cant change the setting. I read that some of us got sync problems...I should check thr previous mplayer version to see if audio syncing behaves the same...