Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Magnesium alloys have a hexagonal lattice structure.
It’s very strong and very fast. Magnesium is approximately 75% lighterthan steel. Will we also see a heavy steel version later on? That would be one unique device

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-02-07 at 08:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
This phone is not made from metal. The case will be made from Magnesium alloy (!)
Eh? Is it because I am a Bloody Foreigner™ or does anyone else also see the two sentences as mutually contradicting?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I realized that the unlock with fingerprint feature is extremely useful. It actually made it painless to change the delay before lock from 5 minutes to 0 minutes, because I was not bothered to type the code all the time anymore.
That's the age-old conflict between convenience and security.
Leaving your house key under the plant pot next to the door is also convenient.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
would like to have 2 sim working without taking the microSD out.
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Yes, the choice between dualsim and MicroSD bothers me too.
theres a trick: https://www.noreplied.com/how-to-ins...alaxy-s7-edge/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SaiKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
To be fair, when you leave your key near the lock and go away, it means you are not in control of the key anymore.
Don't tell me, you are putting your fingers away occasionally (well maybe out of control, but that's still different).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
To be fair, when you leave your key near the lock and go away, it means you are not in control of the key anymore.
Don't tell me, you are putting your fingers away occasionally (well maybe out of control, but that's still different).
People go around leaving fingerprints all over the place. Even on the phone itself; so when someone gets the phone they get your prints at the same time, uuups...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Of course its up to you to use it, but I see many problems with this unlock method.
  • Even here from a recording the password is guessed after about 10 attempts if users are not well educated about choosing a secure Password. Example here.
  • Given time you can try reasonable combinations by hand
  • Traces on screen give hints about the correct position.

It would be improved by a huge amount if you had to do 3 or 4 of such pictures.

Best would be if one could combine different unlock methods. E.g. do a picture-unlock and then (without feedback if you where correct) enter a Pin (number positions randomized).

This would combine the strengths of individual methods.
Actually the BBOS10 Version worked very good. The numbers popped up in random places and you didn't need to touch the particular number to move. You simply moved the whole number layer so that one occurrence of the chosen number would be in the chosen place of the picture. This adds up to have smears from any starting point in any direction.

The picture just helps remember the right position for the number. I don't know, if also moving the picture around would increase security.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Your information is dated. I have double-tap-to-wake enabled on my XperiaX and I have never had any sleep problems with it.
Well I have some issues, that screen is waking up but showing nothing. Workaround is, to let it sleep again, put finger on aproximation sensor to wake it up. That seems to trigger some reinit.

More often I find the screen waking up but not responding to my fingers. Only way is to press power button to turn it (the screen) off an on again.

That being said, I still use it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
The numbers popped up in random places and you didn't need to touch the particular number to move. You simply moved the whole number layer so that one occurrence of the chosen number would be in the chosen place of the picture.
Not only that, as the numbers' matrix sometimes change the number of lines and columns.
One time they are tight (lots of lines and columns), and one time they are loose (less lines and columns with more space between them).

Of course it is still possible to do some social-engineering of sorts and guess the right number and position (for instance, you are more likely to unlock with the same hand, and thus you probably won't position your hand/thumb *above* the spot you're aiming at, which allows onlookers to remove an specific area for their analysis), but it will take quite a number of unlocks.
Now compare that with regular number- or shape-passwords: they only require one (1) good look to get compromised...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
When I said 'seen the real deal', I didn't meant pictures.....

Plastic? Seriously?
No company uses plastic anymore for their high end phones.
It has no premium feeling.

This phone is not made from metal. The case will be made from Magnesium alloy (!)
Now that's quality right over there.
Cool, so my future phone will be made of the same material that's keeping my ThinkPad and Toughbook together.

Eh? Is it because I am a Bloody Foreigner™ or does anyone else also see the two sentences as mutually contradicting?
Magnesium is a metal, so yes, HtheB is contradicting himself.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
But I usually don't leave my finger with my phone if I forget it in a bar, or in case of theft.

The lock codes are far from secure when used in public, people can guess pretty fast what is your code by sneaking over your shoulder in the subway, by roughly seeing the moves of your fingers even in front of you, using the reflection of the windows in the bus, or just follow the smudge on your screen if you are using a geometric pattern. To be fair, they probably don't care at all about the code and the data anyway, they just want the phone to sell it, but I still feel better if I know access to my data is not particularly easy.

Now, if someone threatens me and kindly asks me to unlock the phone for him/her with a knife on my belly, I'll happily unlock it with my fingerprint and even give away the code to unlock without fingerprints. Hopefully he/she will leave me with all my fingers. But if I lose my phone or just find a pickpocket, I don't think they would come back and track me down to get my thumbs, and I'll be glad that there is no smudge to follow on the screen or any code to spy before stealing the phone.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
People go around leaving fingerprints all over the place. Even on the phone itself; so when someone gets the phone they get your prints at the same time, uuups...
Has any pickpocket ever tried to unlock a phone with a fuzzy fingerprint left on a doorknob or on the screen? The guy achieving that would definitely deserve full access to my phone. I would be more concerned about what else that guy would be able to do with my fingerprints if he managed to make copies good enough to unlock the phone.

By the way Juiceme, which procedure did you use to enable double-tap-to-unlock on Sailfish X? I haven't read the corresponding thread on TJC in a long time but I thought enabling it still had some downsides. I am using an Xperia X Compact, I think some sensors are not enabled, maybe that would be an extra issue.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-02-07 at 16:50.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit