Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
There is 'progress' but relatively little forward facing innovation. It's not really a big difference from the last iPad in terms of features/functionality, and certainly nothing that hasn't been done before on a smartphone or competitor tablets.
Exactly, and I am more dissapointed that all these extra spec but the same old software provides no good additional benefit.

The dual codre chip which is "9 times faster" - well I dont think I need more speed as the original iPad was pretty good itself for the kind of software i runs and the passive multi-tasking that it does.

Yes the only good additional benefit would be the front-facing camera with facetime. But this was a serious lack in the first gen iPad, so this just makes up for it.

The lighter is good to have, the thinner is not a must. Sometimes its ok to have a easily holdable device.
So unless iOS 4.3 brings some radical change to take advantage of the dual core power, I don't see how just a spec bump is a advantage at this moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
I don't get what is so special. It's an iPad with upgraded specs. I predict computers will get better specs and smaller size you can quote me on that one. Also people are saying the iPad is the death of PC's, isn't the iPad a PC? Besides why would Apple want to kill their business.

Add a USB port and an SD card reader then drop the price of the base model to $200 and I would buy one, however that is not the case.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Il take n900 over ipad if i was offered either one.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Ipad with Maemo 5 software installed on it and il buy it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lucas777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
iPAD 2

- no flash
- no browser tab
- no scrollable view of homescreen, no widgets, shortcuts...
- no usb, DSCARD, hdmi
- lower res screen and screen size is not native to watch HD video
- no 4G
- no Google map and Youtube dedicated app

iPad 2 <---loser
You forgot GPS?
USB?
micro/SD Card?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
You're supposed to see what's good from the competitors and assimilate that into your own camp, rather than ***** about them to make you feel good about yourself.

(and not learn anything in the process, and still stay 'unsuccessful/unpopular')
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You're supposed to see what's good from the competitors and assimilate that into your own camp, rather than ***** about them to make you feel good about yourself.

(and not learn anything in the process, and still stay 'unsuccessful/unpopular')
And when the majority of what's good from the other camps is taking advantage of human traits that are arguably not good for humanity as a whole in the long run?

The desire for shiny, mind-numbing simplicity, and it being okay to not have the slightest understanding of one's technology beyond the fact that it works, are not good for human progress in the long term. Yet that's what Apple constantly encourages.

Not that I disagree in general, and there are things to be learned from the success of Apple devices to be sure, but I would argue that with Apple-style marketing many of the devices on the market (even Maemo 5 if more had been invested in it and freedom to install just about anything clamped down to prevent the horrible barely-testable complexity of so much software interacting together, which is arguably the cause of most bugs on the Maemo 5 platform) could have been similarly successful. At the end of the day Apple's success did have to do with great UI smoothness/fluidness (I would disagree with it being any more intuitive than Maemo 5 or Android, and personally I find the only-one-button concept an impediment rather than an advantage), the fact that the controlled and horribly limited OS/ecosystem helped keep bugs from happening, and so on, but the majority of it, from what I have seen, lay not in the actual advantages of their platform, which are limited, but in the fact that they were happy to advertise it in a way that made the masses accept it as the best, without fundamentally stopping to question whether or not it really was.

(Which was easy enough in the US market because I admit that at the time, it was just about the only phone that did touch screen UIs and the like well. But the point is that their popularity was a mix of social engineering and circumstantial - being first to market a device that combined a bunch of features no one else put in a clean package, essentially - primarily, and inherent strengths of the platform only as a secondary effect.)

As for *****ing, personally, when I ***** about Apple, or any other company's, products, I have little interest in making myself feel better. I'm rather happy with my N900 (a bit annoyed with the latest spontaneous reboot bug I developed that I can't seem to find the cause of). For me personally, it's a matter of countering points I find to be flawed, or, in the case of recommendations, attempting an actual objective overview of each platform (and there ARE times I actually recommend people iOS devices - doesn't make me happy, but I recognize it's right for them, as much as it bugs me that it can be right for anyone). ..obviously I don't speak for some of the other people on here, but one can hope most of the posters who ***** about the iOSs flaws do so for reasons other than insecurity.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
And when the majority of what's good from the other camps is taking advantage of human traits that are arguably not good for humanity as a whole in the long run?

The desire for shiny, mind-numbing simplicity, and it being okay to not have the slightest understanding of one's technology beyond the fact that it works, are not good for human progress in the long term. Yet that's what Apple constantly encourages.

Not that I disagree in general, and there are things to be learned from the success of Apple devices to be sure, but I would argue that with Apple-style marketing many of the devices on the market (even Maemo 5 if more had been invested in it and freedom to install just about anything clamped down to prevent the horrible barely-testable complexity of so much software interacting together, which is arguably the cause of most bugs on the Maemo 5 platform) could have been similarly successful. At the end of the day Apple's success did have to do with great UI smoothness/fluidness (I would disagree with it being any more intuitive than Maemo 5 or Android, and personally I find the only-one-button concept an impediment rather than an advantage), the fact that the controlled and horribly limited OS/ecosystem helped keep bugs from happening, and so on, but the majority of it, from what I have seen, lay not in the actual advantages of their platform, which are limited, but in the fact that they were happy to advertise it in a way that made the masses accept it as the best, without fundamentally stopping to question whether or not it really was.

(Which was easy enough in the US market because I admit that at the time, it was just about the only phone that did touch screen UIs and the like well. But the point is that their popularity was a mix of social engineering and circumstantial - being first to market a device that combined a bunch of features no one else put in a clean package, essentially - primarily, and inherent strengths of the platform only as a secondary effect.)

As for *****ing, personally, when I ***** about Apple, or any other company's, products, I have little interest in making myself feel better. I'm rather happy with my N900 (a bit annoyed with the latest spontaneous reboot bug I developed that I can't seem to find the cause of). For me personally, it's a matter of countering points I find to be flawed, or, in the case of recommendations, attempting an actual objective overview of each platform (and there ARE times I actually recommend people iOS devices - doesn't make me happy, but I recognize it's right for them, as much as it bugs me that it can be right for anyone). ..obviously I don't speak for some of the other people on here, but one can hope most of the posters who ***** about the iOSs flaws do so for reasons other than insecurity.
Reacting harshly (and prematurely) on false presumptions?

I would argue that the 'good' traits from the iPad can be harvested and reimplemented on an open system without compromising being open (or FOSS compatible).

Examples:
- It's been mentioned a few times about having a fluid and customizable top layer(s) while leaving the door open to the CLI or whatnot.
- A simpler sync method to replicate your data across your chosen devices (say rsync with sane defaults and a nice ui)
- All the good ui/ux points from iOS (which are hopefully not patented)
Etc.

I also think that packaging technology for the masses does not hinder people who inherently want to dive deeper into the technology out of their own desire. Do you think throwing everyone in the world into a bash dominated tech platform is good for humanity? That they should manage their appointments with cron scripts?

No. This expands the technology adopters.

And making basic things simpler frees them up to worry about 'higher level' stuffs. It doesn't work the other way around. I think you got it backward.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

And generally, iPad users are the type of people who worry about 'higher level' stuffs, right?

I apologize in advance for delving in to stereotypes.

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-03-03 at 11:08.

Tags
apple, xoom > ipad2