Notices

Have the N800 for two days now trying to get to my audio files on my Vista PC trough UPNP. It works in Media Player and in Media Streamer but I just can't get it to work in Canola 2. I tried it with TVersity and TwonkyMedia with the same result.
Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Be aware that Canola2 beta does not yet have UPnP capabilities, whilst users beta test the core functionality of the UI. (Canola2 update that provides UPnP will be later in new year)

Using Media Streamer is your safest UPnP player option ATM IMHO

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeL For This Useful Post:
Ok, that explains it. Looking forward to the relase with UPNP.
Canola is really awsom, thanks to all folks working hard onb the development.
Thanks for your the fast response.

Oh - that explains it...I've been struggling with the same problem.
However, the loss of UPnP in the Canola 2 upgrade is real backward step - Canola 1 worked with Orb, TVersity & MediaCentre, didn't it ?

It would probably save people a lot of independent learning, time & frustration if Canola 2 told you it lacked UPnP as it booted up first time round (I guess it'd have to say 'things to look forward to' rather than 'things lacking' ;-)

Walter

PS MikeL - Good to see you around. Life's been vy hectic for me the past year and so I've hardly visited the Streamium forum...or even this one ;-)

Last edited by Wally; 2008-01-12 at 19:02.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
PS MikeL - Good to see you around. Life's been vy hectic for me the past year and so I've hardly visited the Streamium forum...or even this one ;-)
hi Wally, you are not the only one who had a hectic 2007.

I am aware that the Canola team were very disappointed, not to provide UPnP with first release of Canola2 beta, hopefully it will be with us soon.

However to control a streamium device such as my SL300i with a NIT, the only software i have found to to this well (working as UPnP Control Point) is Media Streamer

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fairfax, VA
To be honest, I'm a little upset UPNP wasn't included in Canola 2. I don't use my n800 as a 'normal' media player, but as a handheld extension of my media library at home. Up until last night I've been using Canola 1 to access all of my music, but when I uninstalled it to make way for Canola 2 I didn't realize I was going to be killing my method of accessing my streaming library.

Canola devs: any word on when UPNP will be back? I'm desperate!

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
MisterPhoton :

The Upnp is working, but is in a really low quality state at the time. Using it makes canola boot a lot longer, slower and not so stable. As we are not developing it (it's a third party plugin) we are really sad also that is not ready, but I think we will need to rush it with them to enable you guys to browse the upnp.

But I swear once it reaches the usable level I will be the one first announcing it here =) Just to let you guys know that we are also behind this one. Now is becoming our top priority.

Br

Marcelo

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fairfax, VA
Marcelo,

Thanks for your reply. I'm just a little cranky because the other UPNP options are so terrible compared to the UPNP that was in Canola 1. Also, just to put a bug in your ear, it'd be really awesome if Album Art via UPNP is supported in Canola 2.

Thanks!