Active Topics

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Yes, we appreciate that!

But I also want to know if I should buy a new phone (because my old one is in a bad shape) or wait for the n900 to make my gsm calls.
What we did announce together we Intel as another sponsor is the oFono open source project. What we did not announce today is another product on Maemo software.

If we did announce another product on Maemo software, do you think I would sit now on my laptop and chat in talk.maemo.org or would I be giving interviews to press and media on some global launch event? ;-)

Last edited by Peter@Maemo Marketing; 2009-05-12 at 07:34.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I have just published http://maemo.org/news/announcements/...ofono_project/ . It might help you understanding a bit better this interesting initiative.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Just looking at that diagram tells me this is a major announcement, but Ofono.org's about page still leaves me (as an end user) with some questions, such as:
You are welcome to ask all those questions in http://ofono.org directly. This is why they have created an open and public project.

In any case, end users and even the average developers can probably just relax. An open telephony stack might be a trascendental step in the long term in the industry, but I don't think is something that will make your neighbour buy a device or another because of the features it brings.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by tso View Post
did they just obsolete openmoko???
At least will probably obsolete freesmartphones.org, which is a shame, because is a old and stable project

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Again that is something that you should ask in oFono to get the right answers.

I did ask the same question to Aki (sitting not far away, in our offices in Helsinki) and he said that both Intel and Nokia developers really think the initial design of oFono is better. Don't make me repeat his technical arguments about commands, strings, wraps and protocols because they frankly fall beyond my technical knowledge. But it's a conscious decision based on software architecture and API design, not in ownership or Not Invented Here.

Also note the obvious scope of the freesmartphone.org, while oFono is by design not tied to any form factor.

That world is not that big. The core developers from both projects know each other and follow their commits. I would be surprised if the FSP core promoters were not aware of this move. Hopefully all these energies can be focused in a common direction.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Again that is something that you should ask in oFono to get the right answers.

I did ask the same question to Aki (sitting not far away, in our offices in Helsinki) and he said that both Intel and Nokia developers really think the initial design of oFono is better. Don't make me repeat his technical arguments about commands, strings, wraps and protocols because they frankly fall beyond my technical knowledge. But it's a conscious decision based on software architecture and API design, not in ownership or Not Invented Here.
Fair enough, and I also disagree with a lot of the technical aspect of FSO, but I believe that a common standard/API should be achieved in that area and the FSO team already done a lot in that field.

That world is not that big. The core developers from both projects know each other and follow their commits. I would be surprised if the FSP core promoters were not aware of this move. Hopefully all these energies can be focused in a common direction.
Of course they are aware

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
This announcement is really exciting. It will allow developers to more easily build applications on top of a GSM stack.

Does that mean you can throw away your mobile phone? Probably not right away, but eventually anything that has an x86 processor will be able to use this and/or other libraries to build telephony applications that use the GSM/UMTS network. This means your application can carry voice over both the Internet and 2g and 3g networks.

This technology might not replace your phone tomorrow, but in the right hands it will surely give Skype and other VoIP apps a run for their money.

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Of course they are aware
Who writes that, btw? He talks abut the FSP developers as 'they' and not 'us'.

I can't insist more about going to oFono for answers instead of guessing here. It takes the same effort. They have an IRC channel, go there and ask.

Looking at logs you can see the issue already came up:

http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs/ofono.txt

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Who writes that, btw? He talks abaut the FSP developers as 'they' and not 'us'.
I saw the header of theblog. I even know this guy! Anyway, I hope technical reasons will prevail over time.

I have no doubt about the knowledge of Harald and other developers in similar positions. But it's also fair to say that it's not unexpected that an initiative coming from two big corporations starting something from scratch will generate this type of first reaction response.

Yet we have seen many young and brave open source projects starting from scratch because they thought their plan and implementation were more suitable than an old and stable project.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Who writes that, btw? He talks abut the FSP developers as 'they' and not 'us'.

I can't insist more about going to oFono for answers instead of guessing here. It takes the same effort. They have an IRC channel, go there and ask.

Looking at logs you can see the issue already came up:

http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs/ofono.txt
Harald is a former OpenMoko employee, and used to work in low level stuff related to FSO (mainly GSM modem stuff).

Thanks for the IRC discussion link.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
A good summary of oFono technical aspects (with some speculation :P): LinuxDevices Article

Interesting discussion around oFono vs FSO: OpenMoko ML

Last edited by VDVsx; 2009-05-12 at 11:56.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:

Tags
announcement, intel, maemo, stack, telephony