So, I couldn't help but notice that there is a directory and link in the Maemo Extras repository for Diablo (presumably Maemo 4.1). That seems to imply that it may be coming soon, although I have no proof or even justification of that whatsoever, particularly since there are no packages in that directory yet.

As a developer, I'm interested in knowing what the plans/goals are for Diablo, so I can prepare for them in my code. As a user, I just want to know what cool stuff we're going to see. I can't find a lot of information online, however. The one thing I can gather is that it will support "firmware" upgrades via apt-get (thus not requiring a re-flash).

Anybody got the goods on Diablo? What can we expect as users? And what should I do to prepare as a developer?

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
I'm not a developer but I've been curious about Diablo too. GeneralAntilles mentioned in another thread that it's currently being tested on the N800 and N810 so I wonder how far along it is in it's development. Should we expect it to be released around the same time this year as OS2008 last year?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Seems to me it will be earlier than that, maybe for the summer.

http://svn.tinymail.org/trac/tinymai...l.maemo-diablo

Here's hope Modest will be the default mail client Or maybe another tinymail client?

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-03-10 at 06:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
are we talking about the pc game???

Originally Posted by rnirnber View Post
are we talking about the pc game???
No! [some gibberish for fill-in]

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
Personally I will be VERY sad if they go with Modest. Right now there is no SMIME (Encryption) support in Modest. And if they switch to Modest, my company will be forced to ditch the N8xx platform.

I don't understand why it is so difficult, since the current e-mail client supports it just fine and has been working quite well. Its the ONLY mobile e-mail software that supports encryption.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Seems to me it will be earlier than that, maybe for the summer.

http://svn.tinymail.org/trac/tinymai...l.maemo-diablo

Here's hope Modest will be the default mail client Or maybe another tinymail client?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the big thing about diablo will be that its the last firmware update that will force a complete device reset on update (fingers crossed).

and that means that they may not need to go modest at first, but can allow it to take over as default mail client at a later time (altho i would prefer a design like googles android where third party apps can take over the job of bundled apps as long as they have the right stuff in place, no questions asked).

all in all, its how the firmware should have been done from day one imo...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
As tso says, Diablo will be the first version of Maemo with in-place upgrades rather than complete reflashing (or, at least, that's the plan).

It will also be Maemo 5.0, not 4.1:
  • 4.x is Chinook
  • 5.x is Diablo
  • 6.x is Elephanta.

It sure is 4.1 in Maemo Extras... Maybe a mistake.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Anybody got the goods on Diablo? What can we expect as users? And what should I do to prepare as a developer?
I do not have much details about the "deep insides", but the good news that you do not need to do anything: All the Chinook-compatible apps I have tried (including MaemoMapper) on Diablo seem to install and work just fine.