Active Topics

Hey there. I'm getting my new n800 tomorrow. I've used this board a couple times in my search for answers before buying, and had a few tricky questions about it. Since the 'waiting for my toy to get here' angst is building up.

1. If installed Firefox or used the built in brower, can I use it to upload photos I just took with the built in camera?
2. Can I use bluetooth with a Samsung Stripe (T-Mobile) for cellular internet?
3. Can it play Flash animations/applications?
4. I read that i can use other nokia chargers and batteries for the 800?
5. What are ya'll favorite apps for the n800?

Thanks, Deadpan..
eagerly awaiting his new tool.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
1. Keep in mind the camera produces low quality photos. However, it is possible to capture images for uploading to hosting sites via the built in browser (microB).
2. probably
3. yes
4. umm... not sure what you mean here...?
5. Other than the preinstalled stuff I like rdesktop, EightyOne (sudoku), Battlegewld, mauku, pidgin, and a few others i can't think off offhand.

I mean. If I wanted to get a second charger for the 800 do I need to get it custom or can I use a standard nokia charger and/or battery.

4) Yes, you can use a normal nokia phone charger... also true for batteries however there have been complaints about poor quality knockoffs and even rumours of them exploding, so it may be best to buy from a reputable source.

5) Vagalume, Canola 2, Video center, OM Weather, Transmission, Mplayer, Pidgin, ScummVM are a few off the top of my head.

I think all/most Nokia chargers are the same. I know all the internet tablet chargers and batteries are the same (n770,n800,n810). They battery they use is the BP-5L.

Yay for spare parts then.
Yes, beware fake Nokia batteries. Not only do they suck, but they might explode in your pants.

.... now if only I could get custom faceplates for it as well.

Another question, what do you recommend for IRC? Still Pidgin or something specific?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
Yay for spare parts then.
Another question, what do you recommend for IRC? Still Pidgin or something specific?
xchat of course.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by bartsimpson123844 View Post
I think all/most Nokia chargers are the same. I know all the internet tablet chargers and batteries are the same (n770,n800,n810). They battery they use is the BP-5L.
I was under the impression the N810 battery was different... a BP-4L?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
I was under the impression the N810 battery was different... a BP-4L?
Yep, the N810 switched to the thinner BP-4L that is also used in the E61i. The N800 (and N770?) used the BP-5L that is shared with the E61/E62. The batteries are not compatible as they are slightly different dimensions.

As for chargers, and 2mm Nokia charger will work (AC-4 and DC-4). So any Nokia phone you might have used from 2006 on would give you a spare charger. Gotta love standard off the shelf parts.

And... just for laughs.
VNC can be used to log into my PC, not /just/ the other way around, right?
Just want to make sure. I'm sure the anwser is yes but I can't find any results on it.
Just "oh look, I can use my PC to log into an internet tablet!"