Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Oh dear. It looks like deja vu all over again...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Yeah, and the problem is that by the time they have sorted out the iMX8, it may no longer be up to the task of running a modern smartphone experience!
I dont see really how "the modern smartphone experience" has changed over the last five years, really?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I dont see really how "the modern smartphone experience" has changed over the last five years, really?
Therein lies a problem.

It has changed in the last 5 years in leaps and bounds. Mostly around user experience and expectations, but software bloat and lack of optimization has meant that these devices have a need beyond a 5 year old chipset.

That is if you are actually using these devices as intended. If you're just setting up a terminal and checking out your uptime; you're fine. If you're using modern apps and social media apps, you're not fine. If you're talking about making a phone call, you should be fine. If you want high resolution video conferencing using something other than wi-fi, you might not be fine. If you're streaming music, you might be fine. If you're streaming videos, who knows.

Simply stated, what you are using these devices for and how it may be used to replace a desktop/laptop, that's where I would start. If you were to state simple use cases; you might be fine whereas I would not.

And mobile devices and capabilities have scaled considerably in just 5 years.

Sadly, so has the code that supports these aforementioned tasks.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes I get what you mean, theoretically.

My usage is just about EVERYTHING except games and social media, and I get along fine. Well scratch out the videos too, I don't do that either.
But everything else works just fine like it has been for years.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yes I get what you mean, theoretically.
There's nothing theoretical about it. Either your usage will tax a 5 year old chipset, or it will not. Sadly, that ignores the code bloat - nothing is almost written to be more efficient now.

I'd almost swear that the Nokia N9 was the last device to do that - its hardware was decidedly middle of the road, at best.

My usage is just about EVERYTHING except games and social media, and I get along fine. Well scratch out the videos too, I don't do that either.
But everything else works just fine like it has been for years.
I pulled out my N810 about a week ago. It frustrated me how slow it felt. I gave it away to a more curious Linux hacker than myself.

Edit: I was frustrated with simply surfing the Internet. JavaScript heavy websites killed the experience.

Last edited by gerbick; 2018-08-30 at 20:18.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
It was mostly meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I wanted to point out that the goalposts are moving and if they move faster than the pace of HW development then people will be disappointed.

The biggest challenge is probably the "modern web", which is frankly a pile of s#!t and shows no signs of getting any better.

For this project, the ability to run a full linux desktop version of firefox should mitigate that concern, because then you can use extensions like ublock origin / umatrix and cut out a lot of the bloat (which tends to be for tracking/advertising and not the functional stuff you actually want) by blocking it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
...the ability to run a full linux desktop version of firefox should mitigate that concern...
You think so? Linux always has and always will lag years behind anything the real world has to offer. Note I am not complaining, I am a dinosaur too. But most people aren't. They want to chat to their friends on Facetime, stream live sports events from their phones to their TVs and pay for their groceries with Google Pay. They want to switch seamlessly between devices, starting a game on one and continuing it another.

Meanwhile Sailfish cannot even provide a decent email client that can handle folders properly.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Meanwhile Sailfish cannot even provide a decent email client that can handle folders properly.
Arghhh, have i missed a bug? Impossible!

What's wrong with the folders? Or do you mean, that it is not possible to create your own folders?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But most people...want to chat to their friends on Facetime, stream live sports events from their phones to their TVs and pay for their groceries with Google Pay. They want to switch seamlessly between devices, starting a game on one and continuing it another.
Those people are not the target demographic for this device though, are they? People who are privacy focused enough to want a fully open device don't tend to use those services.

Meanwhile, the main reason I'm not still using the N900 is that it can't handle modern websites, which is due to:
  1. Hardware limitations
  2. Old version of Firefox
  3. No support for extensions to block bloat

There's nothing you can do about 1), but 2) and 3) are solved by using normal desktop Firefox without a load of custom UI stuff on top that breaks extensions and prevents it from being updated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
What's wrong with the folders? Or do you mean, that it is not possible to create your own folders?
Create and delete. Move emails from Folder A in Account 1 to Folder B in Account 2. You know, like any semi-decent email client can, even Modest on the N900.

Those people are not the target demographic for this device though, are they?
Certainly not. I was referring to what I thought you meant by your post - that the ability to run Linux desktop applications would solve Linux mobile problems - but now I see you meant a specific use case. Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Last edited by pichlo; 2018-08-31 at 15:35. Reason: Spelling

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: