Notices

Upstream updated version of busybox (busybox-power) is NOT the same as replacing busybox with any_random shell. Trying to imply this is nonsense.

In light of that, reinob is perfectly right to expect random_programs to get updated, if upstream update of shell package changed something.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
sorry, that's nonsense. Again, _every_ system will break and not boot up when you mess around with the system shell too much. Try replacing the bourne shell by a cshell on a system-V init system. How should maemo be any different in this regard? Usually the system shell must be Posix and/or Bourne, for Maemo it must be busybox in the variant that originally shipped witj it.
Because you can? You can't. You MUST NOT [RFC2119] (modulo BB-P is supposed to be 100% compatible to BB-basic, for exactly this reason to not break stuff that depends on it. So BB-P is supposed to be 'safe' for system shell, for now - until some bug in cmd syntax wants to get fixed).

I'd say e.g. FHS and in the end ultimately the system and how it ships defines what the system shell (and toolbox) is supposed to be and act alike. E.g- for mc it's perfectly sane when the package for the distro relies on diff (and depends on it) and expect it in the location it's found at when installing the default distro pkg for diff (as a dependency of mc). You could even argue that diff has to be in a certain location when FHS specifies so (it doesn't, for diff. see http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...#REQUIREMENTS2 ff). Any _bug_ in mc would be in the maemo package and introduced by the pkg maintainer who failed to adapt the dependency while preparing the maemo mc pkg.
Joerg. You're right in the general case. I'm right in this practical and particular case.

I have exactly zero problems with bb-power (thumb at that -- I'm become a proud user of CSSU thumb) and if I ever notice a problem I would try to fix the affected program so that it works with the "system shell" as well as with "my shell" .

So if backupmenu has a problem with bb-power (or rather, if bb-power causes a problem in backupmenu) I'd try to make backupmenu compatible *with both*. I don't know what problem backupmenu has (haven't read this whole thread and I don't use backupmenu anyway), but I'd submit whatever problem it is will be easy to solve (backupmenu is a -- bourne -- shell script anyway).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have bb-power, gnu-tools and BM coexisting happily without a problem.
Except when *I* *personally* caused a problem myself by manually crosslinking things.
So all this discussion is moot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have bb-power, gnu-tools and BM coexisting happily without a problem.
Except when *I* *personally* caused a problem myself by manually crosslinking things.
So all this discussion is moot
Me too!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Today suddenly when performing a rootfs + opts, it backed up to SD a normal rootfs image, and then proceeded with the optfs, but it never stopped, and i couldnt cancel either, until error code 2 popped up (max file size 4gb?)

Booted pc in gparted and checked optfs, mydocs and sd card.
Removed and purged backupmenu.
Reinstalled. Same problem.

When backing up optfs, it is unstoppable.

Any ideas?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How big is your optfs?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
How big is your optfs?
Seen in gparted on a pc, it is standard 2 GB ext3, i never reformatted it myself.

Edit: the optfs partition is 2gb, backupmenu wants to create a +4 gb backup of the optfs, regardless of which sd card or save to mydocs, reinstalling backupmenu does not help, gparted checking does not do much. Any ideas?

Now my micro sd card is unreadable on a mac, in disk utitlity it says invalid bs-jmpboot. On linux it reads fine, yet error persists on mac after gparted check.

On the sd card it has three partitions, two for flopswap.
However, the problem persists when backup is saved to mydocs..
Strange?

Last edited by Dongle Fongle; 2015-04-12 at 10:42.

I think I've found the problem, /home/user/.opera/cache/g_002D/opr004l5.tmp is a supposedly 3.5 GB file. On n900 it shows up as 200 kb.

Can't remove it in terminal with root access or in Filebox.
Will attempt a windows xp checkdisk, gparted did not fix anything.
Need to force deletion of this file..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dongle Fongle View Post
I think I've found the problem, /home/user/.opera/cache/g_002D/opr004l5.tmp is a supposedly 3.5 GB file. On n900 it shows up as 200 kb.

Can't remove it in terminal with root access or in Filebox.
Will attempt a windows xp checkdisk, gparted did not fix anything.
Need to force deletion of this file..
It's been a while I guess... but I'm thinking that was a sparse file.
Sparse files only take up as much room as the data inside them does on disk, everything else is 0x00. Putting it in an (uncompressed) Tarball would expand it out, making the file size larger.
I bet if you used the compressed option, it might work(but take a lot longer).

Deleting the file is what I would do though... If you can't do it with root, I'm guessing you did something wrong command wise.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@robbie: are you back? That would be nice!

@donglefongle: yes sparse file is the thing to search for. I recall (very very vaguely) about similar thing already reported here on TMO...
Did you already solve it?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system