Some clarification to current situation. Nokia has maintenance contract with Nemein for maemo,org to end of 2012 . At the moment maemo.org is still hosted by Logica but there is option to move hosting to Nemein. Whin switch over happens or does it happen depends on some Nokia internal decesions. In fact we have contract for either Logica or Nemein to host maemo.org to end of 2012.

You can count that maemo,org runs as it is to end of year. After that everything is unclear.

Kate

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post

@SD69,what is the legal entity progress?
I will draft some by-laws for community discussion. I suggest you read the last council meeting logs for the discussion.

http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclo...06-29T21:09:23

I think the key thing is to start assembling a migration/infrastructure team of community volunteers.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
So with X-Fade gone, how do we go about accessing the maemo.org servers?

Have Council been granted access?

Before any referendum/election* can be taken, we need access to the profile data in order to send out authentication tokens.

*We will need at least three of these in the next 4 months:
  1. Approval of Infrastructure change proposals.
  2. maemo.org Coding Competition 2012.
  3. Q3/4 Council Elections.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I will draft some by-laws for community discussion. I suggest you read the last council meeting logs for the discussion.

http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclo...06-29T21:09:23

I think the key thing is to start assembling a migration/infrastructure team of community volunteers.
Rob,

i do appreciate what you are trying to organize for the Community and respect your efforts on that venue.
however, and that is sort of a metaphysical consideration, i wonder in how far Maemo is made by the Community, not for.

let me give a couple examples:
  • developers; of course, Maemo.org offers infrastructure for developers to offer apps to the Community, but the real move is from members developing; without the repositories this would be limited to OVI store apps and would be a lot less attractive. but again, my point: the repositories are but a tool to make the developed apps available.
  • TMO, answering specific questions (sort'a helpdesk for Maemo) or general discussion. it is sharing the knowledge of members of the Community. why haven't we created 100s or more like 1000s of wiki pages instead???

i know this post is going to be met by indifference (@ best) or by a $h!t storm (@ worse) but i would still try to ask you (Council) to reflect about whether Maemo.org is able to organize itself to manage all that infrastructure.
i understand and appreciate that this is more or less the mandate of the current Council, but i wonder in how far management of such a "heavy infrastructure" is not antinomic with Maemo.org's design, origin and substance.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Rob,

you have admit that if X-fade's contract has ended 2 days ago, the stats are somewhat skewed
sorry to hear about X-fade losing his job
I Checked the X-Fade's situation. He has contract with Nemein, that is subcontractor to Nokia for maemo.org maintenance. I asked today from Nemein management about his situation and they said that he is still main contact for maemo.org maintenance.

Kate

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
abill_uk, read again my post above. It is pointless to keep nurturing that discussion. I understand your reasoning, my explanation should be also easy to understand. If you still want to "discuss" the opening of software components then go to one of the many threads about this topic e.g. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84478 . It doesn't belong to the informative and productive thread we have here.

At this point it is up to this community to decide what hopes does it stand for. The Nokia strategy related to maemo.org and Linux or Qt development is clear. The licensing of Maemo and Harmattan proprietary components is clear. And (in reference to this thread) it is now also clear that Nokia will keep funding the maemo.org maintenance until the end of this year - giving the 6 month notice that we have always mentioned for a worst case scenario.

If you are interested in the future of this community then plan with this scenario in mind. If you are skeptical but still appreciate this community, then help (or simply let) those willing to push it further by avoiding distractions and focusing on what matters.

I don't have an agenda about the future of this community, and Nokia doesn't have it either. It's all in your hands.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-07-04 at 11:44.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
qgil, I think You've missed my question, few pages ago:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=96

If You're not right person to ask that (second part of post, marked as question for You), who is? Nemein?

I think that without hard data re resources and bandwidth consumption, we're going in circles. Such data is needed to check pricing for sufficing hosting, which is, in turn, needed to prepare proper fundrising (establishing legal entity goes in background anyway).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Qgil, could You provide data about extras bandwidth usage (same, average and peak)?
I don't know. This is a question for Niels / Nemein, who are the ones looking at this data in order to calculate themselves the cost of hosting maemo.org.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Reggie, could You provide average (not during bot attacks) and peak network usage TMO generates?
Here's the TMO server bandwidth (in Gb) data from 2010 to now:

2012:
06 - 376.13
05 - 403.78
04 - 368.65
03 - 394.38
02 - 384.37
01 - 419.57

2011:
12 - 404.61
11 - 421.38
10 - 493.13
09 - 490.93
08 - 480.25
07 - 483.57
06 - 517.38
05 - 501.05
04 - 457.63
03 - 492.40
02 - 504.09
01 - 533.76

2010:
12 - 504.38
11 - 561.72
10 - 591.75
09 - 540.36
08 - 588.23
07 - 617.21
06 - 687.86
05 - 804.83
04 - 442.95
03 - 397.23
02 - 383.63
01 - 418.40

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Here's the TMO server bandwidth (in Gb) data from 2010 to now:
Thanks.
Is the $195 fee you mentioned for vbulletin a one-time fee or an annual license (or something else)?

Tags
goodbye nokia, responsibility