Active Topics

Closed Thread
If the Noveau guys can reverse engineer the NVIDIA drivers, why hasn't someone done the same thing for the PowerVR drivers?
Lack of interest? Legal issues/concerns/threats? Difficulty of doing it?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
If the Noveau guys can reverse engineer the NVIDIA drivers, why hasn't someone done the same thing for the PowerVR drivers?
Lack of interest? Legal issues/concerns/threats? Difficulty of doing it?
Can't you see? The emperor has no clothes!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
How's that openness coming along?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

About the only hardware in the N900 that isn't documented in some form is the 'GPU and the GPS, as far as I know everything else is documented and understood (e.g. cellmo is documented through ofono)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
About the only hardware in the N900 that isn't documented in some form is the 'GPU and the GPS, as far as I know everything else is documented and understood (e.g. cellmo is documented through ofono)
Ask TI for gfx driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
actually there is 1.4 driver available for download from TI (maemo5 has 1.3). Still, it is closed source binary. Yet I fail to see the reason what exactly you want gfx source for? Who and what is stopping the lack of the source code.

And for the GPS - you can find some (incomplete?) driver source over the inet.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Are you sure? My information may be outdated, but I remember them struggling with GPS and GSM modem drivers (maybe some other ones too, it was few years ago when I read that), are they finally open?
I seem to recall (enfasis on seem) that the GSM modem stack/drivers MUST be closed source to pass the FCC requirements as otherwise IMEI spoofing and other illegal activities can be accomplished, it would not surprise me if the EU had a similar requirement

Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
I have Uboot. That doesnt mean that GRUB should not be ported to mobile devices and arm/armel.

How else am I suppose to install proper Linux and dual boot that with Android on a samsung or htc device?
Uhm... Uboot?? I have Android, Maemo and Ubuntu booting with Uboot with no troubles on an N900, sure the same can be done with other devices, one does not need grub on this platform as far as I am aware (if it brings any advantages over uboot please inform me, learning is always good )

The Following User Says Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
The GSM modem firmware (which runs on a separate CPU) is closed source and for good reason.
There is nothing in the regulations that requires the interface libraries to remain closed source (if there was, ofono would be illegal as a large amount of the N900 support was contributed by Nokia people IIRC)

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Some clarification to current situation. Nokia has maintenance contract with Nemein for maemo,org to end of 2012 . At the moment maemo.org is still hosted by Logica but there is option to move hosting to Nemein. Whin switch over happens or does it happen depends on some Nokia internal decesions. In fact we have contract for either Logica or Nemein to host maemo.org to end of 2012.

You can count that maemo,org runs as it is to end of year. After that everything is unclear.

Kate
If you want to do something for this community then i very strongly suggest you get the FULL release of Maemo and Meego source and all components released to this community because untill this happens this community will never put together anything in the way of an OS for any Nokia device.

The Wiki tell's lies by the way because Maemo is NOT developed by this community, how can it be when this community has no access to source from Nokia.

For any developer to do his job then he must have 100% full access to all source and components, without this he can not develop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo

Read the wikipedia entry because it is complete rubbish.....

"Maemo is a software platform developed by the Maemo community for smartphones and Internet tablets.[1] It is based on the Debian Linux distribution, but has no relation to it. The platform comprises the Maemo operating system and the Maemo SDK.

Maemo is mostly based on open source code"

Only when the code is completely open and fall's TRULY into the FOSS catagory will it have any chance of being developed by anyone other than Nokia who hold the source in full.

CSSU prove's that it is just no way possible to develop or improve either Maemo or Meego further than it has been developed by Nokia without full access to source.

Please see this for what it really is now after over 3 years of "development" by this community !!!.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2012-07-04 at 09:03.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
abill_uk: Nokia will not open any Fremantle or Harmattan components. It's a clear message, repeated many times. There is nothing Kate or myself can do to change this, no matter how hard you try in this forum.

Wikipedia is a collaborative project encouraging any contributors to improve any aspect of its content. Have you tried? If not I can recommend it. I have been volunteering in my free time, but never in anything Maemo (or MeeGo, Qt etc) related since it is generally discouraged that company employees write about their products. For instance, I don't think Nokia employees have done any significant contribution to that page.

But we are digressing. Back to topic and thank you Kate for digging the details with Nemein.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-07-04 at 11:03.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
die abill die, flog_dead_horse, not really open, open-core, specc the troll