Notices

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Hey

Yesterday I logged my daily round for exercise.
It seems like the text is overlayed, or what to call it, in the log window.
Can I change the log to be less accurate in km somewhere so it will fit the window?
Attached Images

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
I have been playing with the layout of the buttons

Is it possible to change the position of the infobox in userconfig.conf?
I want to move it up a bit and also change the previous and next button (route) to either side of the box.

For me the UI of modRana is fast on the pc. downloading tiles and routing is slow, compared to the n900. (Amd athlon 1.3 ghz/ mandriva linux 2008)
Attached Images

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for all the feedback so far !
@visible map scale
There should be a map visible in all modes (but it hides when buttons hide). But the length description on the scale is indeed very tiny and needs to be larger.

@elevation profile
There is actually a half finished onscreen elevation widget, that can be enabled in the user_config.conf like this:
Code:
[[[route_profile]]]
px=0.67
py=0.4
pw=0.3
ph=0.2
To use it once it shows up, select a tracklog, go to its tools menu and select "make active". PS.: This shows how desperately the widget rework is needed.

@offline routing:
There is already some Python code in the Monav experimental branch, so I would say things are really moving in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
I have been playing with the layout of the buttons

Is it possible to change the position of the infobox in userconfig.conf?
Unfortunately, it is currently hardcoded in the source - but good point, this should be configurable in the user config file (and from GUI in the future).

If you are feeling hacky, you can just change the coordinates in the source file in the meantime.
The navigation box position is hardcoded in /opt/modrana/modules/mod_turnByTurn.py on line 174 and it looks like this:
Code:
(bx,by,bw,bh) = (w*0.15,h*0.20,w*0.7,h*0.4)
bx,by - box upper left corner coordinates
bw,bh - box width and height
w,h - screen width and height
Note that the file will be overwritten during upgrade or reinstall.

I want to move it up a bit and also change the previous and next button (route) to either side of the box.
OK, I'll make the individual elements separately configurable.

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
for pc version of modRana, I don't know how but I feel that it's even slower than the N900 version?
is it just me or it's a known issue?
For me the UI of modRana is fast on the pc. downloading tiles and routing is slow, compared to the n900. (Amd athlon 1.3 ghz/ mandriva linux 2008)
Looks like there was an old version on the website - 0.25-2 vs the current 0.25-7 on Maemo, without the tile loading and batch download enhancements.

The website should be now updated to 0.25-7.

Originally Posted by datjomp View Post
Hey

Yesterday I logged my daily round for exercise.
It seems like the text is overlayed, or what to call it, in the log window.
Can I change the log to be less accurate in km somewhere so it will fit the window?
OK, I'll add some rounding. Say 2 decimal places for kilometers/miles < 20 and no decimal places for > 20 ? And maybe something like 2000 km -> 2k km so that even very long distances fit in.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
How is hardware acceleration coming along?

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
How is hardware acceleration coming along?
Mieru, my other Python app is already using Clutter for a part of its interface. The speed is OK and I have not noticed any Clutter related crashes. So basically I have all the needed tools - now I just need to sit down and start writing the code.

I have also developed custom kinetic scrolling code for Mieru, which should be also usable in modRana to enable kinetic scrolling for the (Clutter accelerated) map screen. Another use could be for Hildon independent kinetic-scrollable lists.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
oh ,and is it possible to hide the clock?
or at least make it smaller and put it at the corner at the screen?

i don't know, just don't feel the clock o be fit in there
or maybe it's just me

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Looks like developing of this nifty app is going ahead nicely.

This is of course matter of opinion but!
TomTom and other dedicated navigation software/hardware houses have spend probably thousands of hours on fiddling user experience and after all their income is depending on how well UI is designed.

Taking this account IMO map GUI from e.g tomtom products should be copy pasted to modrana and tweaked perhaps even little better or give user options to tweak it.

I have one TomTom one navigator at home and if you want some cam pics of different screens let me know.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...om-tom-one.png
http://dandygadget.com/wp-content/up...ts_gadgets.jpg
http://www.wm6software.net/images/so...11_screen.jpeg
http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/tomtom6-palm.jpg

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
anybody can tell me how to delete saved tracklogs?
i can't find it anywhere

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
/opt/modrana/tracklogs

yeah, I would also have assumed they went below the home dir....

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by petur View Post
/opt/modrana/tracklogs

yeah, I would also have assumed they went below the home dir....
Yeah, I know, this is really wrong. BTW, it's basically a relict from SHR@Neo FreeRunner where everything runs as root and it is not a problem to save data basically anywhere.

I'm going to migrate the profile data to ~/.modrana in the near future + the tracklogs do MyDocs (so that they are mass storage and file browser accessible).

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
oh ,and is it possible to hide the clock?
or at least make it smaller and put it at the corner at the screen?
Check out the /opt/modrana/user_config.conf - please note that you changes might get nuked at upgrade.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
TomTom and other dedicated navigation software/hardware houses have spend probably thousands of hours on fiddling user experience and after all their income is depending on how well UI is designed.
Good point - good UI is very important and not easy (especially for mobile devices), so why not use/adapt something proven.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
I have one TomTom one navigator at home and if you want some cam pics of different screens let me know.
OK, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking about first doing an alternative "simple" navigation UI inspired by the navigation view but there might be some other interesting usable concepts in other views.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps