Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
I haven't been using modRana very long (I only have my n900 a few months) and have only used it a few times, once to go to a party in another city (Netherlands) where I didn't know my way round and a few times for testing driving to and from work. I especially like the big buttons because it makes it easy to use without taking the phone out of the RAM Aquabox on my motorcycle.
short story and pictures of modRana in action..

Sometimes you're riding around just enjoying the ride and end up somewhere unknown in a field
hmm, a dead end...

Better turn round, time to go home anyway..Fortunately I have my n900 with me.

Take the phone out... start modRana and put it back in (it was raining), Ah.. here we are...

Here is were the big buttons come in handy. easy to use even through the thick plastic. planning the route home...

And off we go...

Obviously can't take pictures while driving and the pictures have been scaled down and reduced in size so maybe not all that clear.

Now something I've been thinking of. On long highway trips without turns or something the screen stays on using battery power. It might be useful to turn the screen of between turns and switch it back on when a turn is approaching. saving the battery.

I dont have it connected to a charger yet on the bike and for sound I can use the fm transmitter ( I have a radio on the bike)
I havent tested the speech output yet on trips.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
a little off topics but where did you buy that N900 holder? at least can i get the product name?
thanks

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
looks like some kind of generic waterproof case that is touchscreen compatible

Well I did mention the name: RAM Aquabox. that is just the box is is in. Not specifically for the n900, it has some room to spare. and it is not quite cheap. but quality is good and the mounting system seems solid enough.
The plastic front is quite thick but fortunately the touchscreen still works through it.
Link:
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Aq...5/Default.aspx
(I bought it online from the Dutch shop which is noticeably more expensive than the USA one. but the USA shop doesn't ship abroad.)

Edit:
I changed the "point reached distance" back to 30m ( 30 is the default distance?) as it switched to the next turn a little too fast for my liking while driving inside town. Also found out that you should wait for a accurate fix before you start driving because I drove off with my position showing next to the road instead of on it and it kept being off the whole time while moving.

Last edited by Whispering Weasel; 2011-06-15 at 22:11. Reason: added some on-topic stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
While some have used modRana for directions between point A and point B, I tend to use the software for information/searching.

I've used modRana as a basic map while on travel in Ireland -- no dataplan necessary. I'll download the tiles beforehand, and then use them for inferring basic walking/driving directions later. While the software isn't perfect for this task, it's so close -- the emerging offline routing libraries could turn this into a killer feature.

Sometimes I just download tiles and look at the map. For someone who grew up drawing imaginary streetplans, modRana is candy for my head.

At home or work, I'll search for the closest store or hospital or park by doing a place search around a view or location. It's like Google Local for Maemo. Again, being able to run these searches on Wi-Fi and cache them for later retrieval would be so useful.

That's about the extent of my modRana use. It's been one of the nicer features of my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wumpwoast View Post
At home or work, I'll search for the closest store or hospital or park by doing a place search around a view or location. It's like Google Local for Maemo.
Hmmm... how do you do a place search for a store in modRana?

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
POI search -> custom search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
i found a 3rd party theme called modrana-theme-ios. though i've never get any screenshot of this, i tried to install it but seems it's not working for the latest version of modrana
there are only 2 themes available (default and night) and theme-ios is installed at /opt/modrana/icons/bitmap instead of /opt/modrana/themes
could be it's built for earlier version of modrana and no longer compatible with the new one. but can anybody tell me how to use it for this new version of modrana?
I am the developer of that theme. Unfortunately, my N900 has been non-functional for a while now, and I haven't had the time to try and fix it (what with the end of school and everything). That being over now, I should finally get a chance to try to update the theme to be compatible with the new theming system.
I didn't realize modRana could be installed on a regular Linux system - martinK, where can I download it from? This would allow me to work on the theme on my computer until I get my phone fixed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
You can download from here
http://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/gps_navigace/wiki/WikiStart
(just downloaded it myself as well )

@jj0: you mean the line (scale) with distance at the bottom when the icons are visible?

Last edited by Whispering Weasel; 2011-06-16 at 14:24.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
I am the developer of that theme. Unfortunately, my N900 has been non-functional for a while now, and I haven't had the time to try and fix it (what with the end of school and everything). That being over now, I should finally get a chance to try to update the theme to be compatible with the new theming system.
I didn't realize modRana could be installed on a regular Linux system - martinK, where can I download it from? This would allow me to work on the theme on my computer until I get my phone fixed.
thanks, will look forward to that

for pc version of modRana, I don't know how but I feel that it's even slower than the N900 version?
is it just me or it's a known issue?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps