Active Topics

Poll: Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?
Poll Options
Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I think the Mods here have done a great job compare to some other forums I'm on(which will remain nameless ) I don't seen the harm in a few jokes in threads to lighten the mood. And a few jokes from the mods from time to time. Make it seem like they are humans and not mindless robot that's ready to ban you at any given Sunday. Sometimes threads get out of hand and that's when they step in an well "mod". So to the OP imma tell you like my grandfather told me don't take life to serious cause no one ever makes it out alive anyway
Cheers

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hotshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Yeah, send all off topic posters to the hall of destruction for summary judgement and combustion!
Seriously, don't worry about it. The important threads aren't getting spammed, that N9 one is destined to gain like 100 posts a day no matter what, so if we don't learn anything today i'm afraid it's 95% junk again

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
The important threads aren't getting spammed, that N9 one is destined to gain like 100 posts a day no matter what, so if we don't learn anything today i'm afraid it's 95% junk again
When threads get Chuck Norrised they tend to get shuffled off to Off Topic anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The moderators actually encouraged the main Chuck Norris thread by renaming the thread in honor of Chuck then putting it in off-topic.

Anyway, the poll is tremendously skewed by the "what are you talking about, things are fine" sarcasm in one of the options. How would you like a Presidential poll with a "what are you talking about, Palin would be great!" comment after one of the choices?

No fair putting a comment like that in a poll and expecting it to be taken seriously, unless you work for Vladimir Putin or someone similar.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
And another thing. If you really want to encourage good threads and don't have a yearning for jackbooted moderators prowling the aisles (which we luckily don't have here), you should support the Thread Spotlight thread I recently posted.

Anyone who has studied psychology knows that negative reinforcement (i.e., jackbooted moderators) is the WORST way to stop bad behavior. The trick is to find ways to POSITIVELY REINFORCE good behavior. That was the whole intent of my thread.

Just search on Thread Spotlight and you should find it easily enough. Write about threads you want to encourage.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I think moderation here is a bit too much on the light side of things (hey, did abill_uk get banned or something, considering the "invonlutary departure" mentioned earlier?), but I don't agree at all with enforcing strict on-topic rules.

I've seem worst, man. This forum feels like heaven. Obviously, though, since I've seem worst, I'm biased.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I'll take a moderator job I'm always here and impartial...

Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
I think the Mods should be tougher on the ranters, threads that invoke Chuck Norris for adding to the post count, and the threads that get away from the original topic. I would NEVER want to see this site turn into a propaganda page, but the number of posts that go nowhere and helps no one needs to be addressed!

That's my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

(Without getting into a 10,000 post, Chuck Norris, filled rant...ok maybe a few funny gifs ).
Well, in the absence of real news, it is the Chuck Norris who keeps your topic on top. It gives you a sort of publicity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
The Forum does not need more Mods, the Moderators need more minions After all, its the users that keep a Forum alive, and I am not saying everyone should simply obey (wish it was that easy), I mean that YOU can help the Mods out by reporting evil or sending a PM when the latter seems more appropiate. Did you know you can block a user, to never see posts/PM's from him/her again? Thank you for your time.

Regards.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I just wish to be able to create an ignore list not only for certain users, but also subfora.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post: