Notices

Anybody been able to get Navit to narrow down locations? I'm trying to go somewhere and the list of towns goes off screen and trying to pick which one is entirely a crap shoot.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Hi anybody
I install Navit by script everything is OK (thank you Flandry) but navit could not load map.
Who can help me?

Originally Posted by WAHID View Post
Hi anybody
I install Navit by script everything is OK (thank you Flandry) but navit could not load map.
Who can help me?
Which map cannot you load ?

I saw somewhere a remark that the map format has changed, and noticed that my navit does not recognize new maps downloaded from navit-project extractor. Maps downloaded earlier still work fine.

According to the source (which I cannot recall anymore, sorry), the newest SVN version of navit does recognize these maps.. However, I do not know how to compile new maps. Maybe the kind person who has built the packages at chollya.org could build a new version for the rest of us ?

Of course, your problem could be a different one.

Typo: I intended to say "do not know how to compile a new version of the application" instead of "compile new maps".

Originally Posted by kxq View Post
Typo: I intended to say "do not know how to compile a new version of the application" instead of "compile new maps".
Actually, it might not be necessary to compile the application. I was able to use the newest OSM maps
when I converted them myself from OSM extracts into bin-files using the maptool available together with navit.

For a newer version of the program follow this tutorial

Instead of installing the navit files listed under "3) Navit distribution", get the newer files from,

navit-data_0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4347_all.deb

navit-graphics-gtk-drawing-area_0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4347_armel.deb

navit-gui-gtk_0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4347_armel.deb

navit-gui-internal_0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4347_armel.deb

navit_0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4347_armel.deb

Please note that there is a small issue under the step "8) Put the files...", use solution number two ie "Create the folder under Xterminal" and you should be good to go. The reason why the first one wont work is because the N900's MyDocs dir gets mounted in windows and we need to have the .navit folder in /home/user and not /home/user/MyDocs.

When you follow the second solution you will need to move the xml files to the proper location manually. So copy the xml files to a folder called "navit" in MyDocs over mass storage mode and then run the following command in xterminal,

Code:
mv /home/user/MyDocs/navit/* /home/user/.navit/
I havent tested this personally but it could work, worth a try =)

Last edited by samad909; 2011-05-02 at 08:24.

This navigation software is pretty neat!

Here's how I installed it from the repository. It installed version 4347 which is the same as the manual installation mentioned above.

On the N900:
Code:
root
apt-get install librsvg2-common
apt-get install espeak
apt-get install navit
On a laptop/computer with Linux (Ubuntu) (wifi connected, same network as N900)
Code:
sudo apt-get install maptool
wget http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe/western_europe/netherlands/netherlands.osm.bz2
# Find your own country. Don't be a hero and download World.osm just yet, because converting the Netherlands alone took me 10 minutes. The world will probably take A DAY.
bzcat netherlands.osm.bz2 | maptool netherlands.osm.bin
mkdir ~/n900
# Requires sshd and tftp on your n900:
sshfs user@192.168.201.2:/ ~/n900
# Mind your n900s ip-address
mkdir ~/n900/home/user/MyDocs/OpenStreetMaps
cp netherlands.osm.bin ~/n900/home/user/MyDocs/OpenStreetMaps/
# Copy took 5 mintes.
mkdir ~/n900/home/user/.navit
cd ~/n900/home/user/.navit
wget -O navit-config.zip http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6644&d=1264836319
unzip navit-config.zip
echo '<map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/home/user/MyDocs/OpenStreetMaps/netherlands.osm.bin"/>' > maps.xml
echo "<speech type=\"cmdline\" data=\"echo '%s' | espeak -vnl+f2\" cps=\"10\"/>" > speech.xml
# Mind your own language settings, this is Dutch
cd /
fusermount -u /home/sander/n900
ssh user@192.168.201.2 dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.dsme /com/nokia/dsme com.nokia.dsme.request.req_reboot
# reboot required for graphics
Replace .png with .svg in OSD.xml on n900
Code:
apt-get install sed
mv OSD.xml OSD.xml.bak
sed 's/.png/.svg/g' OSD.xml.bak > OSD.xml
Weird bug: You don't see any results when searching for cities unless you start the program from terminal:
ctrl+shift+x and navit
Start with different environment for a different language.
Code:
env LANG=nl_NL navit
Move the icons to the absolute sides of the screen to make it look better. Change the last portion of OSD.xml like so:
Code:
<!-- <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-60" y="50" command="zoom_in()" src="gui_zoom_in.svg"/> -->
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-54" y="44" command="zoom_in()" src="gui_zoom_in.svg"/>
<!-- <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-60" y="-120" command="zoom_out()" src="gui_zoom_out.svg"/> -->
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="0" y="44" command="zoom_out()" src="gui_zoom_out.svg"/>
<!-- <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-70" y="130" command="gui.menu()" src="gui_menu.svg"/> -->
<osd enabled="no" type="button" x="-70" y="130" command="gui.menu()" src="gui_menu.svg"/>
<!-- <osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-60" y="220" command="gui.fullscreen=!gui.fullscreen" src="gui_fullscreen.svg"/> -->
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-52" y="-112" command="gui.fullscreen=!gui.fullscreen" src="gui_fullscreen.svg"/>
Very nice!

I've tried Mappero and a few of the likes, but they work with tiles or bitmaps and that is just not how we roll in the 21st century.

The other vector based app I've tried in the past is GpsMid, but getting it to work is more difficult than kickstarting self-sustaining nuclear fusion.

So Navit is pretty much the only player in town that parses vectordata from OpenStreetMaps in realtime.

I'm glad I found Navit but I really wish some people are still working on it, because it needs some improvements.
  • It crashes a lot when doing stuff other than just browsing the map.
  • Moving a map is slow like Debian development. OpenGL implementations could easily make this 50 times faster.
  • Having a route makes navit 386ish slow. What the hell is it calculating all the time even if my car is standing still?
  • Getting it to work requires some work. Apps should work out of the box.
  • OSD Icons don't show up until you move the map a bit
  • Checking the car position *on screen* crashes the program.
  • It doesn't save settings. Very VERY annoying.

-update-

Other bugs
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'fuel.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'shopping.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'bar.xpm'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'fastfood.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'bank.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'bus.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'church.png'
  • navit:displayitem_draw:failed to load icon 'cinema.png'

Any ideas on how to stop it from crashing so often? I like to use this when bicycling random cities, and I don't want to restart the app pretty much every time I want to take a look.

Last edited by Redsandro; 2011-05-10 at 19:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Redsandro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Hello,

I worked through the maemo package for the n900 from chollya.org and updated it to the new version 4503. This brings now for the first time elevation support for the n900. Beside that, the chollya.org package linked statically against a newer freetype library. The downside of this is that there are two versions of freetype in the RAm of the phone, when navit is running. I applied the patch for this specific freetype bug to the version of freetype shipped with the n900 and submitted it for inclusion in the CSSU. In addition you may install the patched version directly from here: http://bokomoko.de/~rd/Navit/freetyp...m5.1_armel.deb

Alternatively, I built a freetype-navit package, which can install in parallel to the freetype shipped with the n900, for people which do not want to replace the system freetype library. This is included similar to navit itself in my repository

deb http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/ unstable

I am running the patched freetype library and navit on my n900 without problems so far. All my packages come without any warranty and I cannot give commitments on fixing problems, but I hope they are useful for some of you. The repository did not get a whole lot of testing, I welcome feedback if it worked or not.

If you want to see the sources please add in scratchbox the source repository

deb-src http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/ unstable

Thanks,
Rainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
hi all,

installed navit from the instructions a few posts up.
all installed fine but when I run it, it just hangs. i did a screenshot of the terminal but sure how to attach it.

hope someone can help!

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
hi all,

installed navit from the instructions a few posts up.
all installed fine but when I run it, it just hangs. i did a screenshot of the terminal but sure how to attach it.

hope someone can help!
Can you reference the number of the reply (at top right below the date) you used?

Thanks
Rainer

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap