Notices

Originally Posted by jpj View Post
(1) On the N800, if I specify a large download set (big region, high zoom, whatever), all goes well until the screen blanker kicks in. Touch the screen to wake it up, and the download appears stalled (no action on the progress indicator). MM will continue auto-downloading as needed to refresh the display while I frob around, but the batch goes nowhere until I restart it.
Hmm, this sounds peculiar. I have left my 770 to download en masse countless times, and I have never experienced an issue like that. I wonder if the blanking works differently on the n800 (OS 2007) as it does on the 770 (OS 2006). It's possible that OS 2007 is sending applications different signals based on blanking events, which may disrupt Maemo Mapper's interpretation of the signals.

I can try and tweak the signal handling code, but without an n800, I'd just be shooting wildly at the air, hoping not to make things worse. So, likely, I won't be able to address this issue until I can actually test on the n800. *grumble*

(1a) Settings -> Misc -> "Keep Display On Only in Fullscreen Mode" is checked, but my N800 display still blanks, fullscreen or not. AC or batttery power makes no difference. Am I missing something? I can sustain a long download only by tickling the screen periodically to keep it awake. This gets tiresome fast.
That long label is not long enough to describe the actual functionality of that checkbox. Screen blanking is only prevented when your current position changes, which means you'll need a GPS device. The assumption is that you don't really need to keep the screen on if you're not actually moving. Of course, in your case, that's exactly what you want, but only because the blanking is disrupting your downloads.

One alternative might be to start a download, and then run the media player with a video on repeat so that it keeps the screen from blanking.

(2) I originally set MM up with mt[...]v=w2.29 in the Google Maps (streets) URL, and that works fine. However, the same exact string fails in Ioan's winmapper. It creates the map directory structure on my Windows box, including 0-byte file entries at each folder which vanish shortly after they appear. Sniffing at current Google Maps output in Firefox, v=w2.37 appears current, but that fails the same way as 2.29.
Does the problem only occur in winmapper, not Maemo Mapper? I don't know how winmapper works, but it's possible that you're getting the captcha due to the mass downloading. I've never seen the captcha myself, but it has been reported by some, and that might cause 0-byte file entries, and since it's not entirely consistent, it could (for example) work in Maemo Mapper and not work in winmapper.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Toronto, Canada
One problem i found that is slightly annoying:
If i'm on the road without internet connection and the GPS scrolls the screen to an area with no map tiles, the "Downloading" status bar appears and never goes away.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Hmm, this sounds peculiar. I have left my 770 to download en masse countless times, and I have never experienced an issue like that. I wonder if the blanking works differently on the n800 (OS 2007) as it does on the 770 (OS 2006). It's possible that OS 2007 is sending applications different signals based on blanking events, which may disrupt Maemo Mapper's interpretation of the signals.
My initial observations were subjective, based on the progress bar, so I decided to look for a more reliable indicator. Now I bring up the Connection Manager status page, which tells a different story. Most of the time the counters do advance while the screen is blanked, and I can imagine the exceptions being WiFi flakiness. So let's call this a no dupe, or impatient consumer bogosity. Sorry! (You're off the hook.)

That long label is not long enough to describe the actual functionality of that checkbox. Screen blanking is only prevented when your current position changes, which means you'll need a GPS device. The assumption is that you don't really need to keep the screen on if you're not actually moving. Of course, in your case, that's exactly what you want, but only because the blanking is disrupting your downloads.
Thanks for the clarification. Generally, I'd like the _system_ level option to not blank at least while on AC, but this would be more of a Nokia dev issue, or an opportunity for hacking. I might take it on myself if nobody beats me to it.

Does the problem only occur in winmapper, not Maemo Mapper? I don't know how winmapper works, but it's possible that you're getting the captcha due to the mass downloading. I've never seen the captcha myself, but it has been reported by some, and that might cause 0-byte file entries, and since it's not entirely consistent, it could (for example) work in Maemo Mapper and not work in winmapper.
In my experience the failed downloads are 100% reproducible in winmapper, and not at all in Maemo Mapper. I've scrutinized the strings repeatedly to eliminate the possibility of typos. And while I've also seen the forum reports, it seems there must be something different about how the two apps interact with the Google map server. Also, the problem only affects streets, not topo.

So I'll ask the question: Can anyone reliably download Google street maps through winmapper on a Windows box, here and now (not last week or last month)? If so, what URL string are you using? Thanks.

In my experience the failed downloads are 100% reproducible in winmapper, and not at all in Maemo Mapper. I've scrutinized the strings repeatedly to eliminate the possibility of typos. And while I've also seen the forum reports, it seems there must be something different about how the two apps interact with the Google map server. Also, the problem only affects streets, not topo.

So I'll ask the question: Can anyone reliably download Google street maps through winmapper on a Windows box, here and now (not last week or last month)? If so, what URL string are you using? Thanks.
You're right that there is at least one thing different about how Maemo Mapper and winmapper download maps. Maemo Mapper uses a specific HTTP_USER_ AGENT string that makes it look like Firefox - winmapper probably doesn't, because Maemo Mapper added that user agent feature after winmapper was written. Maybe this user agent is what allows Maemo Mapper to download the maps successfully?

If so, winmapper would have to be modified to use a similar user agent string.

I don't know much about winmapper, however, except that the author mentioned having taken the downloading code directly from (a now-older version of) Maemo Mapper, and since that code hasn't really changed (except for the user agent string), it should (in theory) work the same as Maemo Mapper.

I get an installation error when trying to install flite. It is still looking for libbluetooth1 (>=2.1).

I think I'm using the correct repositories. Can someone list the repositories needed to install flite on an N800?

Thanks,

Andy

The flite package in repository has a slight bug in it. I'll update the repository soon to fix it, but until then, there is a fixed package here:

ftp://knoppmyth.net/flite_1.3_armel.deb

The flite package in repository has a slight bug in it. I'll update the repository soon to fix it, but until then, there is a fixed package here:

ftp://knoppmyth.net/flite_1.3_armel.deb
I have since removed the dependency and re-uploaded the package to the repository as flite_1.3-1_armel. It should now install without error.

Thanks! Works great now.

Andy

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Germany
Hi

My ideas for maemo mapper:

For better POI handling, an extra option for "Auto center" called "POI" where you can select one of your saved POIs.
It would be also possible to extend shown information when you click on a POI. Example:
http://mail.vdst.rwth-aachen.de/kup/mapper_idee.png
Last version I've seen looks like this:
http://mail.vdst.rwth-aachen.de/kup/mapper_idee_org.png

Looking forward to your feedback ...

bye
kup

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
as long as we are requesting functionality, i have a few that came to me.

i was in Jersey City, and as it winds up, you cant take (any where near) the same route, out of the city, and you did in. could the option to download a return route be added to MM?

i am thinking that this would be a seperate route, saved to /media/mmc1/maps or some such folder, so that you could follow the route to the destination, with out getting confused about which way you are going. once you are leaving the destination, you could load the return route and find your way home.

the other request may have been touched on before, but i am not sure. is it possible to add the option to download maps along a track, with a configurable number of tiles? this would copy the functionality in the Manage Maps dialog screen, but allow for tracks as well as routes.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless