Is there any easy way to remove one or more of the default launch buttons on OS2008? The launch and home are useful, but I can get the web or contact apps from the launcher and would prefer to have the launched apps be able to use the two slots.

This is a question I would like answered as I don't use the contacts button at all.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Georgia, USA
I think the best answer is "sorta" and "yes/no"
I believe the three buttons - web/contacts/applications have to stay.
However, you can change the order of how they appear. Also, you can really play around with the applications button and what shows up. Although it can be a pain in the butt to get it to work.
Go to control panel -> then "panels" at the very bottom. From there, you can change the order of web/contacts/applications.

Then click on "organize" next to "applications" From here, you can 1. create a new folder; 2. change the order 3. add/delete applications within the existing folders: my selection/internet/utilities/settings/extras/communications.

For example, I created a new folder and moved it to the very top. I then put my most-used apps within that folder. So, by being at the top, every time I hit the application button my most-used/favorite apps show up first.

One kicker. Trying to move apps around in the folders is a friggin nightmare on OS2008. You'd think you could just highlight an app and use your stylus to move it to another folder. It rarely works and there have been some other threads on this problem. I finally got it to work by actually using my finger to move the app to another folder, but again, it took like four or five tries to get the app to really move.

hope that helps

Originally Posted by winjaw View Post
One kicker. Trying to move apps around in the folders is a friggin nightmare on OS2008. You'd think you could just highlight an app and use your stylus to move it to another folder. It rarely works and there have been some other threads on this problem. I finally got it to work by actually using my finger to move the app to another folder, but again, it took like four or five tries to get the app to really move.
I think it's the same as the file manager: click-drag the filename, and it selects multiple files. Click-drag an icon, and the files drag-n-drop.

I don't launch the web directly very often, so don't need that, nor do I use contacts, so I would like to delete them. I already know how to rearrange my apps in the launcher menu.

TZ1 just wants to know how to delete the top two icons.

I don't know the answer but perhaps someone else does?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It's certainly possible. There's an API for creating new ones, the chinook SDK contains a "Hello world" task navigator button.

The UI for changing the slots based on the installed task navigator plugins can already be seen in Control Panel. It's just we've only got two by default.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
It's certainly possible. There's an API for creating new ones, the chinook SDK contains a "Hello world" task navigator button.

The UI for changing the slots based on the installed task navigator plugins can already be seen in Control Panel. It's just we've only got two by default.
I think TZ1 wants an end user method rather than a developer method.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
So do I :-)

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I think TZ1 wants an end user method rather than a developer method.
If developers can't do it, end-users can't. If developers can do it, it's just a matter of a GUI.

There's already part of the GUI there: there just aren't any developers who have provided alternate plugins.

Similarly, hildon-desktop in Moblin is very different: Hildon's completely open source so *anything*'s possible.