Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I dunno why people are always clamoring for more Nokia-supported software. They're really only good at making things more painful for their users and developers in the name of corporate software specs. <_<
That's a very good point!

i read in another thread that someone was printing directly to a bluetooth hp printer by using the 'send to bluetooth' function on the tablets.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I mentioned that very slightly "lots of printers can have the file obexed to them"

But it's not a good solution:
1. Most, 3rd party apps do not have a send to.
2. This relies on the printer recognising the content. Try it with a doc file for example.

Come think of it, will 4.1 have lockable desktop applets & snapping turned off?
And will 4.0 apps be compatible? I think so because of the .1

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-03-15 at 15:51.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by debudebu View Post
i read in another thread that someone was printing directly to a bluetooth hp printer by using the 'send to bluetooth' function on the tablets.
I was doing that with images, to my HPC6180 (a very nice multifunction printer if anyone is in the market). Have not been able to get any other sort of file to work.

Bleh, printing is kinda pointless in these devices, and the size requirements for something like CUPS (or even somethin smaller) are a little excessive for the amount of storage and RAM we have available. Besides, who the hell uses paper documents anymore? I haven't printed anything for at least 6 months.

Really, of you need to print, sending it to a networked machine is damn easy.
But maybe not easy enough.

What would be cool is the ability to send a file from the N8xx to a networked printer (via a computer on the same network) wrapped in a print job object. You'd send it to a watched spool directory and BLAM! --out it goes to the printer. Technically possible, but would likely require software installation on both the tablet and the computer involved...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-03-16 at 18:47.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Technically possible, but would likely require software installation on both the tablet and the computer involved...
Eh, print to PDF accomplishes exactly this fairly easily.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Eh, print to PDF accomplishes exactly this fairly easily.
Really? My only experience with print to PDF is solely on a single workstation. But if that's the solution, then it should be "bugged"! Unfortunately bugzilla is still crashing on me...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Really? My only experience with print to PDF is solely on a single workstation. But if that's the solution, then it should be "bugged"! Unfortunately bugzilla is still crashing on me...
Well, the point being that printing to PDF is a easy way to interface with just about any decent printing system without a whole lot of extra effort on either side.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
So, it's all but certain that the N810 WiMAX Edition will be announced next week, PhoneBoy has Twittered about upgrading his N8x0s to a new internal build of Diablo, and someone's going through maemo bugzilla, commenting on what is, and isn't, fixed in a new Diablo build. Given all that, anyone care to guess when Diablo will become available to us, the unwashed masses? Also, what are your thoughts on a simultaneous release for all three N8x0 devices this time? I don't expect Nokia want a repeat of the N810-firmware-on-N800-tablets affair from last fall, but maybe that's just me.

Either way, I want it now!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I'd guess there'll be a new firmware release for N8x0 the same time the N810WE is available, hopefully 1st April (i.e. next Tuesday).

It's worth bearing in mind that this is the last major release the maemo team committed to releasing for the N800. There are three ways of reading that:

1) It'll possibly be the last for the N810 too, since they're effectively the same h/w.
2) The N800 will get dropped, but the N810 won't. The Hacker Editions are bound to be easier to produce, though.
3) The N800 will get upgrades as long as the N810 does, probably into Elephanta at least.