Notices

I just built Firefox 3 beta 4 (aka Minefield). It is not completely stable yet but much faster than it used to be.

It loads slower than microb but you get the full Firefox. I am particularly excited about this because now I can get a web browser running under fvwm. Hopefully I can work out some other things.

Down sides: I haven't yet finished configuring things so no zoom yet (need to bind that to the function keys). Also, you can only scroll with the dpad or scroll bars.

Nice thing is full preferences menu. No more messing around in about:config or in prefs.js for most settings.

Oh, and tabbed browsing!

Building Firefox on Maemo used to be near impossible but this build wasn't too bad. I'll tweak my mozconfig a bit to make the build more optimized for N800.

Just thought I'd put the word out there to anyone who cares.

The Following User Says Thank You to coffeedrinker For This Useful Post:
dude,

link?

me want.

Not stable enough yet to post a link yet (would drive you crazy), but if through tweaks and new releases it gets sufficiently stable then I'll post it somewhere.

Until then, here is the mozconfig file I used for the build. Any suggestions on making it better would be appreciated.

Code:
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --disable-gnomeui
ac_add_options --disable-jsd
ac_add_options --disable-oji
ac_add_options --disable-view-source
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --disable-printing
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --disable-xtf
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-mathml
ac_add_options --disable-svg
ac_add_options --disable-svg-foreignobject
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-freetype2
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Colorado, USA
When you say loads slower, how much slower?

Also how's the responsiveness? Does FF3b4 bring the tablet to a crawl when loading slow pages, ie can you click somewhere or are you stuck like microb until it finishes? Thanks.

It takes about 10 seconds to load and display my home page. microb is much faster than that but this is a much larger application.

It might be a bit slower loading a page right now but I haven't tweaked it all up yet. The display of the page is definitely superior than microb. Of course microb will get be using this engine in the future. For example, I use fonts of a minimum size of 17 and prior to this engine some text areas would be a bit messy. They are flawless with this build. Scrolling through the page is very responsive.

When loading a page, the cpu meter goes to 100% but I can still switch to other apps.

The preferences window is too large to use under matchbox but I can use it fine in fvwm by moving to another virtual window (I use a 3x2 layout).

Other issues: no right click, no maximize (have that in fvwm though).

I'm still poking around on this. I built another version adding these options:

ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --disable-debug

Why did you disable jemalloc?

My understanding was that this has added some significant memory fragmentation benefits to the linux/windows builds.

Also, my understanding is that the guys at Mozilla.org are working to get a regularly nightly build for maemo Any Day Now (TM).

You can track the status of that process here (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414622). From reading the bug, it looks like they're very close to getting it out of the door.

Cheers

Chris

I think I turned jemalloc off because it didn't build.

One of the main reasons I want to have a non-hildon build of a browser is because the browser app fails to launch under fvwm. I haven't been able to figure out why, since I can run every other app just fine. It just hangs with the "updating" window. Otherwise I'd be happy with the microb.

Originally Posted by genome4hire View Post
Also, my understanding is that the guys at Mozilla.org are working to get a regularly nightly build for maemo Any Day Now (TM).

You can track the status of that process here (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414622). From reading the bug, it looks like they're very close to getting it out of the door.
This does look very good. I'll keep an eye on that too

Bug 414622 is now closed. The nightly build FTP directory is:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/nightly