Active Topics

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Shouldn't this thread be titled "$43 a Year Navigation and Routing!" ? After all, the GPS is there and fully functional. For customers like myself, that's good enough.

Even still, if someone can't justify $43 a year for navigation, then do they really "need" it? That's like $3.59 a month. Pretty much a latte or gallon of gas these days.

Like anything, if there are better options available, the market will move on.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I am glad you started a new thread instead of making your objections known in off topic blurbs in other threads
My goodness, is that addressed to me? If so YoDude, I don't think I've been off-topic regarding GPS at all. I've posted in a GPS thread, a "will you buy" thread, and finally in response to a thread originator who voiced my exact same objection.

I believe I've been polite, and I'll continue to be so. I'll also continue to voice my opinion in pertinent threads, unless a forum moderator tells me to zip it.

Jeff

I think the point is that after paying a fair amount of dollars for the N810 it kinda sucks to have to spend more to get navigation working. My take on it is it should work straight out of the box, which will then provide a more compelling reason to buy for non geeks. Nokia can still charge for updates to maps/ software in a similar way to TomTom.

That would also make me more likely to upgrade from my N800.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
The N810 is not a GPS navigation unit it's a linux MID. You can install GPS navigation on a Dell laptop why don't you ask Dell to give us free navigation software?
I'm not if full agreement however I think that the better subscription model would be weekly, monthly, yearly leases like the smart2go app that Nokia sells on S60

It feels kinda weird that they're giving us the maps for free, and charging a subscription for the voice and routing.

As other people have said, with car gps systems, you buy the system, and the MAP upgrades cost.

Hey, that's cool. I'd love that model. If the maps I got are working for me, I pay zip, zilch, nada. If I want new maps, I buy new maps.

But to pay for V&R, and then pay for it again in 3 years? It just feels... wrong.

So hey, I think I can live with that. They want to give us maps for free and charge us for the V&R, well, I don't see what's stopping us from coming up with our own V&R.

The N810 feels like a much nicer device when I pretend that Wayfinder doesn't exist, and remember that MaemoMapper does.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
My goodness, is that addressed to me? If so YoDude, I don't think I've been off-topic regarding GPS at all. I've posted in a GPS thread, a "will you buy" thread, and finally in response to a thread originator who voiced my exact same objection.

I believe I've been polite, and I'll continue to be so. I'll also continue to voice my opinion in pertinent threads, unless a forum moderator tells me to zip it.

Jeff
Easy big fella,

I said just the opposite of what you are taking exception to.

Originally Posted by Me
I am glad you started a new thread instead of making your objections known in off topic blurbs in other threads

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Easy big fella,

I said just the opposite of what you are taking exception to.
You are 100% correct sir. I read (and replied) with haste. Please accept my apologies.

Jeff

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
The N810 is not a GPS navigation unit it's a linux MID. You can install GPS navigation on a Dell laptop why don't you ask Dell to give us free navigation software?
I recognise this but thats not my point. I want the Internet Tablet to be as successful as possible and I think this is a missed opportunity. By offering navigation software to N810 owners straight out of the box it would become much more appealing a proposition (and therefore sell in much greater numbers)

Your comparison to Dell is spurious; Nokia have released a MOBILE device with built in GPS is it really that much of a stretch for people to expect it to offer navigation software?????

Originally Posted by stewwalton View Post
Your comparison to Dell is spurious; Nokia have released a MOBILE device with built in GPS is it really that much of a stretch for people to expect it to offer navigation software?????
Maps are not included with the GPS-Receiver-Hardware, and I bet the NACTEQ-deal was after Nokia made a deal with wayfinder to provide the maps for OS2008. The Maps aren't free and if you look at the initial price of the N800 and the initial price of the N810 you see, the price didn't went (much) up. But now a better LCD and GPS-Hardware is included.
Of course Nokia should talk with wayfinder to lower the license fee ...

well u need to figure the reality of this also.

1. we wont own this device for 3 years...most of us didnt have the 770 more than a year till the 800 came out, and now look where we are less than a year later.

2. i cant see it helping resale value much on ebay having the wayfinder sub paid for.

3. yep.