Notices

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Ventura California USA
Hi anpaza,

I installed sudser on an n800 and n810, both running the latest Diablo OS, and I may have uncovered a problem. When not in use, I completely shut down my Tablets. Wnen I rebooted them after the installation, the process ended at a solid light-grey screen (right after the hands screen and boot jingle). The screen was reacting -- it beeped when tapped. But nothing else. All buttons and keys did nothing. I had to remove the battery to shut the tablets off.

I reflashed the n800, reinstalled apps, and this time installed rootsh. This time, rebooting worked as expected. My guess is that now that 'user' had a password (entered during the installation of sudser), the boot process now required user to enter their password before the GUI would run. But there is no built-in way to enter the password, and I don't know a backdoor way to do it. People who simply let their tablets go to sleep would, I think, never experience it since they never leave their GUI.

While I used it, though, I liked sudser. Maybe there is a straightforward way around the problem I experienced.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The very same happened to me, but not with rootsh. It happened with sudser.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'd much rather see sudser merged with rootsh than be in the same situation again with a lot of disparate root packages that mostly accomplish the same thing.

Though one user reported a reboot loop after installing sudser.
yes!!!, i also encounter the 'reboot loop problem', what can i do is re-flash my NIT.

Originally Posted by anpaza View Post
Okay, I hate to be the next guy to release the 1001th-gainroot-package, but I waited long enough for somebody to implement such a thing properly

So, I did a small package which allows to gain root access by configuring 'sudo' properly. After that sudo works much like in Ubuntu - by asking the user password once in every session. You can also choose to not use a password, in which case you'll get just another 'gainroot'-alike package.
I have a bit of trouble understanding why this is configuring sudo ''properly'', and other options aren't. The whole point of sudo is to allow sysadmins flexibility in controlling who can do what, and with what authentication; declaring one configuration ''proper'' invalidates that. (To be clear, I don't have a problem with you packaging your setup, just with your exclusive reference to it.)

Damnit, I was going to post a warning, but did not catched in time :-(

In two words: If using sudser, DO NOT USE A PASSWORD.

If you do, at boot-up the device will prompt you for a password when doing some sudo commands before starting the desktop, and will hang because there's no way to enter the password at that time ;-(

If you have set a password, remove the sudser package.

As root execute the following command:

sudo dpkg -P sudser

This will fix things back.

Sorry to everybody :-( I'll put a fixed package ASAP.

Benson, I was refering sudo as a "proper" way to gain root just because if there's already a pre-installed package installed which's meaning is exactly that - to give you root priviledges in certain situations, it is obvious that it's easier to configure it to give you root priviledges in situations when you need them (e.g. always) than creating another binary which does the same.

Last edited by anpaza; 2008-07-21 at 07:45.

If you do, at boot-up the device will prompt you for a password when doing some sudo commands before starting the desktop, and will hang because there's no way to enter the password at that time
maybe add a password for user 'user' is not a bad thing, especially when you lost your NIT and there are some important files or info in it.
it will make other people could not login into and protect your private data.

i suggest the next version of sudser will add a login prompt form( if you set a password), instead of removing the chance of setting password for user.

This will make sudser being completely different with other gainroot packages..

just a suggestion...

Last edited by douwen; 2008-07-21 at 08:12.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Benson, I was refering sudo as a "proper" way to gain root just because if there's already a pre-installed package installed which's meaning is exactly that - to give you root priviledges in certain situations, it is obvious that it's easier to configure it to give you root priviledges in situations when you need them (e.g. always) than creating another binary which does the same.
You modify sudoers. rootsh, easyroot and gainroot modify the gainroot script not to check for R&D flags. Nobody is adding any additional binaries. :\

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by douwen View Post
maybe add a password for user 'user' is not a bad thing, especially when you lost your NIT and there are some important files or info in it.
it will make other people could not login into and protect your private data.
You have a lock code for that. Not extremely hard to break but it's there.

Originally Posted by douwen View Post
i suggest the next version of sudser will add a login prompt form( if you set a password), instead of removing the chance of setting password for user.
Too much work for something that isn't likely to work.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sd_proto View Post
This won't even install for me, some problem with a bunch of dependencies.
What you meant to say was, "This won't even install for me, some problem with a bunch of dependencies. Here's the list: ..."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Damnit, I was going to post a warning, but did not catched in time :-(

In two words: If using sudser, DO NOT USE A PASSWORD.

If you do, at boot-up the device will prompt you for a password when doing some sudo commands before starting the desktop, and will hang because there's no way to enter the password at that time ;-(

If you have set a password, remove the sudser package.

As root execute the following command:

sudo dpkg -P sudser

This will fix things back.

Sorry to everybody :-( I'll put a fixed package ASAP.

Its okay, can happen, thanks for your statement!

For future reference: isn't this too quick moved to extras/

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:

Tags
becomeroot, rd-mode, root, rootsh, sudo