Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
Ok, so there's RS-MMC, DV-RS-MMC, MMC, MMC Mobile...now I know that RS-MMC comes in 1GB (max)...but does anyone know if there will ever be a 2 (or more) GB comming out? Also, I know that the 770 needs to have the memory slot closed to read the card...but after working around that, wouldn't I be able to use a standard MMC 2gig card?...

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I suppose it could because RS-MMC & MMC are pin compatible ...
You just have to cut the card door & accept to have a protruding card ... ;-)
While you're at it you may as well open this thing so that we can see what's in there ...
I'm quite amazed that nobody has opened a 770 yet (not that I would do it myself ...)
but when there's a new Palm it takes usually a week or two before you can see inside pictures of it ...
Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Well... I did

When you close the plastic thingy which closes the MMC bay it presses a small button placed on the PCB inside. That button signals the Nokia for contacting/controlling the MMC card.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
avdigital, You did put a 2GB MMC card in it and it works fine? Did you do that trick with the door? Also, is it possible at all to cut the actuall card a bit? I mean I'm sure the whole thing isn't a chip is it?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by uNtouched
avdigital, You did put a 2GB MMC card in it and it works fine? Did you do that trick with the door? Also, is it possible at all to cut the actuall card a bit? I mean I'm sure the whole thing isn't a chip is it?
No, I use a 512MB RS-MMC, DV type.

First I bought a different card which was a 256MB RS-MMC with different specifications. That card didn't had two rows of connections, only one row. This card didn't work in the Nokia, the device didn't recognize the card at all. So I bought another one, which was a DV type (dual voltage) and that one is working.

If you can, in some way, bypass the "MMC door switch" and you have a normal MMC card which is also dual voltage compliant then it should be working, I think.

I'm not a MMC card expert at all but to my knowledge only RS-MMC card are dual voltage (for small low power applications) and not the normale size ones. Maybe someone else could shed some light to this matter...