Hi,

Shortly before a new OS came out, I broke the usb port of my n800 .

I've been searching for a solutions since and gave up, afraid of mishandling the procedures that were necessary to flash the n800 from SD card (following a suggestion).

I just found out that the new OS release doesn't need connection to the computer to be updated making it possible for me to update it and encouraging me to find a solution.

Would it be possible to use an SD card clone someone else made of the new OS2008, transfer it to an SD card, put the dual boot and use it on my n800?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you for any help

Delphine

Last edited by cgdel; 2008-11-16 at 23:15.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
I may be wrong but I thought that with Fanoush's tools, Penguinbaits debs etc all you had to do was get the stuff on your tablet and wireless would work.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Sorry, I didn't see it right away...

So I'm goign to try to run the kernel flasher with the OS2008 image (OS2007 running now).

Thanks a lot.

Delphine

Last edited by cgdel; 2008-11-19 at 00:18. Reason: Didn't look at the right tool...

I got the last DIABLO kernel (.bin) from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php and tried to use the kernel flasher but it did not accept the kernal image.

What am I doing wrong? (saved the image on SD card)

Please help me.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
.bin is not a kernel

you need to unpack it into pieces and flash them separately (with no boot in between). for unpacking FIASCO (.bin) image use linux flasher or 0xFFFF

It is a bit tricky and you have only one try. Flashing only part (like kernel without initfs) may make your device not booting so make sure you understand it completely. yo need to be 100% sure you will succeed first time.

thinking that .bin is the kernel is the sign that you should definitely not proceed right now :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Basically first try to boot from SD card, you will need it later and it is a bit less dangerous (but anything is dangerous when usb is not working and you cannot reflash safely).

BTW usb is also available on pins under cover so maybe you can use those by soldering wires?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Thank you very much for putting me on the right track.

I'll definetly get more information but, to be on the safe side, would you assess a step-by-step protocol of what I would implement?

As it is a dangerous manipulation, I know it's best not to be public, so could I send it by MP?

Soldering wires have the inconvenience of not letting me close de n800. I might have someone fix the usb port (solder it back in place) but not in the near future...

I have already understood enough to see that the name of my thread is illogic

Once again, thank you!