Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
PyQt 5.0.1 was released in 21 August 2013 with support for QML and Qt Quick2 :
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/news/pyqt-501

The current PyQt5 download is for v5.0.1 :
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/...pyqt/download5
The "Development Snapshots" PyQt5 v5.1 is also available, compatible with Qt 5.1.

So, PyQt 5.1 will give Python access to develop softwares (with GUI) for Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch, Android, iOS, etc. Obviously somebody needs to compile & package PyQt for them.
The issue is that PyQT is only available under either the GPL or a commercial license, so can't be used for non-GPL applications without paying for a commercial license, which is why PySide was created in the first place. That doesn't just mean it can't be used freely by commercial developers, but also that applications licensed under other open source (but not GPL compatible) licenses can't use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
The issue is that PyQT is only available under either the GPL or a commercial license, so can't be used for non-GPL applications without paying for a commercial license, which is why PySide was created in the first place. That doesn't just mean it can't be used freely by commercial developers, but also that applications licensed under other open source (but not GPL compatible) licenses can't use it.
But, if you're a commercial dev, just stick with C++. You'd probably create python binaries too, and these are slower than c++ binaries. And coding on-device is not for commercial devs who are closed source. pyqt would be ok.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
But, if you're a commercial dev, just stick with C++. You'd probably create python binaries too, and these are slower than c++ binaries. And coding on-device is not for commercial devs who are closed source. pyqt would be ok.
PyOtherSide is another option for commercial developers using Python and Qt5.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
PyOtherSide is another option for commercial developers using Python and Qt5.
Yep, it's an option too.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
PyQt 5.0.1 was released in 21 August 2013 with support for QML and Qt Quick2 :
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/news/pyqt-501

The current PyQt5 download is for v5.0.1 :
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/...pyqt/download5
The "Development Snapshots" PyQt5 v5.1 is also available, compatible with Qt 5.1.

So, PyQt 5.1 will give Python access to develop softwares (with GUI) for Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch, Android, iOS, etc. Obviously somebody needs to compile & package PyQt for them.
Hey thanks for the heads up man. I just built the current snapshot of pyqt5 and it seems to work just fine with qtquick2. So for all you python coders out there it's just to start port to qt5/sailfish. Btw, anyone knows if Sailfish is still using python2?
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
I was using pyside before with my app panucci but porting to pyqt5/qtquick2 was not that hard. So far it's only namespace changes, haven't noticed anything else yet. And the rendering is ULTRA SMOOTH and this is under X. With Wayland on Sailfish it'll be even smoother if even possible.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Hey thanks for the heads up man. I just built the current snapshot of pyqt5 and it seems to work just fine with qtquick2. So for all you python coders out there it's just to start port to qt5/sailfish. Btw, anyone knows if Sailfish is still using python2?
Not if you prefer LGPL over fanatic communist GPL3 license

I'm using gpl3 so no problem for me. If you want to make non open source apps you should use native code anyway. Pyside seems to be more or less dead so for me pyqt will do the trick on Sailfish.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I'm using gpl3 so no problem for me. If you want to make non open source apps you should use native code anyway. Pyside seems to be more or less dead so for me pyqt will do the trick on Sailfish.
My apps is open too but thing is I don't like licenses that restricts other todo what they want with my code cause of facists licenses like GPL3. Its just as stupid as fully closed source.

Anyway just my opinion. Let go back to ontopic. There also is pyotherside

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yes please stay on topic. Pyqt is not likely to switch license so we will have to live with gpl. I'm using some other stuff of qt outside of qml so I'd rather use pyqt than pyotherside. But yes, I could probably use pyotherside too without too much work. I'm using lots of qactions though so I guess I'd have to replace those with something else.