Closed Thread
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Perhaps you could write down and add to the public repository what problems you discover and how you solve them? These kinds of pragmatics can be very valuable for someone trying to build a qwerty-oh for themselves... There are no make- or configure-scripts for building hardware :-)
you mean for the 3d cad files and pcb's? or if someone wants to design another keyboard with the tca8424?

for the first people can just contact me, no problem. for the second it seems a good idea to open a sticky on the top of the 'other half' subgroup with all usefull tips, files, parts and whatnot.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
you mean for the 3d cad files and pcb's? or if someone wants to design another keyboard with the tca8424?
I was basically thinking of how to open source your 'know how'; things like (contrived example): "the printed OH often pinches at the top, I usually polish it a bit two centimeters down on the left hand side and that solves it", what glue to apply and where, and stuff like that. Compared to software, there isn't much experience in open sourcing hardware devices. Perhaps wiki.maemo.org could help here too?

I was basically thinking of how to open source your 'know how'; things like (contrived example): "the printed OH often pinches at the top, I usually polish it a bit two centimeters down on the left hand side and that solves it", what glue to apply and where, and stuff like that. Compared to software, there isn't much experience in open sourcing hardware devices. Perhaps wiki.maemo.org could help here too?
the focus and experience on software in this forum is something i am very aware of!

however, even though all my files to make the keyboard are online, i can not imagine someone will make this specific model by them self. it can still be optimized in a lot of ways and it is not very profitable to make one. replacing parts and troubleshooting -> files very welcome.

what i had in mind was a sort of community-standard set of hardware and software tools for other half development. the chip i used in the keyboard (tca8424) still has 75 unused button in its register. so if someone makes another keyboard in a different form factor, different keyboard layout, they can still use the software provided by kimmo!

if you want to design something completely different, like a gamecontroller add-on with all sorts of weird buttons, you can use the same chip, but just map the keys in an unused space! want to add an extra "nintentdo ds-style" display with that? use the same display as the toholed!

this seems more sensible to put my time and effort in than in very elaborately explaining how to glue one specific oh together!

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
What you have already provided is a marvelous thing, and I certainly don't mean to criticize you! There is a solid foundation for others to continue development and making other great things from what you have started!

What you have already provided is a marvelous thing, and I certainly don't mean to criticize you! There is a solid foundation for others to continue development and making other great things from what you have started!
oh no, i don't see your questions and suggestions as criticism in any way, but what i mean is that people in further development -probably- won't be making copies of mine, so i'd rather invest in explaining the basics, than the specifics of this design.

#efficiency #yolo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
First keyboard that has been sent back with failing keys has been outfitted with a new pcb and has left the country again!

Collection all the parts for the second batch. Will use transfer-tape instead of glue for the pcb and will be 0.05% larger, so will snap on and off a lot easier!

Ordered some new flex-cables, which will make the construction a lot easier and really becoming a pro at sticking domesheets on

QWERTY OH ASSEMBLEEEEEE

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Veska, Czech Rep.
So, I received mine KB TOH last friday, I'm playing with it since then, but one vertical line of keys - Y, H and B is not working. The Y key works sometimes, when I slightly bend the KB plate, but the others don't.
However, I really like this thing and the hinges mechanism, so it can work also as an stand. Really nice work, thanks Dirk.

http://jamar.veska.info/files/jolla/kbdtoh/IMG_2472.JPG

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jamar View Post
So, I received mine KB TOH last friday, I'm playing with it since then, but one vertical line of keys - Y, H and B is not working. The Y key works sometimes, when I slightly bend the KB plate, but the others don't.
However, I really like this thing and the hinges mechanism, so it can work also as an stand. Really nice work, thanks Dirk.

http://jamar.veska.info/files/jolla/kbdtoh/IMG_2472.JPG
cool pic!

same for you, if you don't get the keys to work after pressing them 1000 times, don't hesitate to send it back for repair!

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Veska, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
same for you, if you don't get the keys to work after pressing them 1000 times, don't hesitate to send it back for repair!
Okay, I'll keep pressing those buttons for now...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Bulgaria, Sofia
dirkvl: Could you try to attach the NFC sticker on the moving part of your keyboard and check if the NFC ID is readable from the phone when the keyboard is closed?

If yes, this could be used to disable the software keyboard, to force a landscape mode or|and to disable the switch off of the display, when the HW keyboard is slided out.

Last edited by octane; 2014-03-27 at 21:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to octane For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty