Closed Thread
Decent web browsers and text editors are needed for Sailfish:

(1) Automatically wrapping text: when you cannot read the text, you zoom in, and the text column fills the whole width of the screen, and the enlarged text wraps up correctly. This is how Opera Mobile browser works. But Firefox on N9 is poor in this respect. As the result of this nice feature, however, on some large pages the "focus" jumps to unwanted parts of the page too easily. Therefore, there should be an option to turn off the automatical text-wrapping feature. Then will be needed feature nr. 2.

(2) Adjustable text size, like the Symbian phones and N900 of Nokia have, but later models don’t. 3 or 5 levels would help (Very large / Large / Normal / Small / Very small). Zooming usually does not help. If zooming is the only method of making text legible, it means that on many web pages and text editors, when zooming in, you have to scroll the text horizontally twice on every line of text (to see the ends of the lines), which naturally does not make sense. Only on the best web pages and online-editing services the text wrapping compensates the lack of text-size adjustment. Several “hacker’s” text editors for Maemo and Meego phones have had desperately small text sizes (even with the largest text size, on phones which has 3 or 5 text size availalbe). MeeTextEdit for N9 is one of the few exceptions - although it has only few features, they have been implemented with care. I don't mind if text-size adjustment affects also other applications, like on most Symbian devices.

(3) "Full browsers". Along with the increasing screen sizes, the web browsers of mobile devices are used more and more like the web browsers of laptop and desktop computers. But unfortunately many essential features are still missing. For example, if you see a long code, telephone number, or a web address on a web page, with the default browser of N9 you cannot copy it. And with some browsers it is impossible to copy the target address of a link (the address which you see on the address line is not the same thing when using some advanced web services).

(4) The UI of text selection and Cut/Copy/Paste operations should be improved. When on-line-editing text with the browsers available for N9, it is very difficult or impossible to select text and scroll text up and down. And it is impossible to search for text strings in the contents of the displayed web page. Opera Mobile is an exception: text scrolls correctly up or down, when you move the handles at the ends of the selected text to the top or bottom of the available editing space, which the virtual keyboard makes low. To make editing easier, I don't mind if there were a special editing layer in the virtual keyboard (like that of Swype keyboard), or at least a sticky Ctrl key (about the Ctrl key and other modifier keys you can read in this reply).

(5) Clear and logical UI. The Mozilla-based default browser of N9 is very good in this respect. UI issues are complicated are matters of taste. To please most people, more than one web browser should be available for Sailfish.

I wish that Jolla people read this list. There should be sufficiently advanced features and logical user interface in the most frequetly used applications. Web browser definitely is one of them.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-15 at 18:21. Reason: (4) completed: wish an editing layer, link added, added the missing search

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Egon For This Useful Post:
hash generator

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I wish that Jolla people read this list.
There should be sufficiently advanced features and logical user interface in the most frequetly used applications.
Web browser definitely is one of them.
It's been pointed out to them countless times for almost 5-mths now.
So if they haven't drawn on it occasionally for inspiration, it's their loss.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-11 at 11:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Yes, we are reading.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Decent web browsers and text editors are needed for Sailfish:

(1) Automatically wrapping text: when you cannot read the text, you zoom in, and the text column fills the whole width of the screen, and the enlarged text wraps up correctly. This is how Opera Mobile browser works. But Firefox on N9 is poor in this respect. As the result of this nice feature, however, on some large pages the "focus" jumps to unwanted parts of the page too easily. Therefore, there should be an option to turn off the automatical text-wrapping feature. Then will be needed feature nr. 2.

(2) Adjustable text size, like the Symbian phones and N900 of Nokia have, but later models don’t. 3 or 5 levels would help (Very large / Large / Normal / Small / Very small). Zooming usually does not help. If zooming is the only method of making text legible, it means that on many web pages and text editors, when zooming in, you have to scroll the text horizontally twice on every line of text (to see the ends of the lines), which naturally does not make sense. Only on the best web pages and online-editing services the text wrapping compensates the lack of text-size adjustment. Several “hacker’s” text editors for Maemo and Meego phones have had desperately small text sizes (even with the largest text size, on phones which has 3 or 5 text size availalbe). MeeTextEdit for N9 is one of the few exceptions - although it has only few features, they have been implemented with care. I don't mind if text-size adjustment affects also other applications, like on most Symbian devices.

(3) Along with the increasing screen sizes, the web browsers of mobile devices are used more and more like the web browsers of laptop and desktop computers. But unfortunately many essential features are still missing. For example, if you see a long code, telephone number, or a web address on a web page, with the default browser of N9 you cannot copy it. And with some browsers it is impossible to copy the target address of a link (the address which you see on the address line is not the same thing when using some advanced web services).

(4) The UI of text selection and Cut/Copy/Paste operations should be improved. When on-line-editing text with the browsers available for N9, it is very difficult or impossible to make selections and scroll text up and down. Opera Mobile is an exception: text scrolls correctly up or down, when you move the handles at the ends of the selected text to the top or bottom of the available editing space, which the virtual keyboard makes low. To make editing easier, I don't mind if there were a sticky Ctrl key also on virtual Qwerty keyboards.

(5) Clear and logical UI. The Mozilla-based default browser of N9 is very good in this respect. UI issues are complicated are matters of taste. To please most people, more than one web browser should be available for Sailfish.

I wish that Jolla people read this list. There should be sufficiently advanced features and logical user interface in the most frequetly used applications. Web browser definitely is one of them.
If basics are not there, the phone is dead. Its already pretty much dead. They got nothing to differentiate from regular phones in the eyes of average Joe

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Yes, we are reading.
I hope that's a we in the fullest sense & not just a me, I really do, but thanks for the glimmer

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I hope that's a we in the fullest sense & not just a me, I really do, but thanks for the glimmer
W00t also Jolla employed if I remember correct and also THP.

But AGAIN they can't sit here all day long we they work like crazy get the device out!

If those lazy TMO people installed IRC it could also help to get some answers too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
But AGAIN they can't sit here all day long we they work like crazy get the device out!
Ofc, which is why my original post was worded the way it was.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If those lazy TMO people installed IRC it could also help to get some answers too...
I've mentioned it before, there is a wealth of information available via a number of sources, IRC and various Git sources to name a couple.

I, like others, feel some frustration regarding the lack of information regarding certain aspects of the device and it's characteristics, but I also respect that these guys have put everything on the line to produce their first handset and it makes good commercial sense not tell the world about their innovations to protect the one thing they have; differentiation.

we have all seen how key characteristics of the N9 hardware and UX have made their way to other devices (both Nokia and other manufacturers). Jolla can ill afford to lose any edge before they get a toehold in the market place.

I'd encourage everyone to get on board and do what they can.
If you want certain apps, especially those from individual devs or small dev teams, get in touch and ask them!
so far, I've had nothing but a lot of positivity from these people about their intention to support Jolla, and that's if they've not already!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
I've mentioned it before, there is a wealth of information available via a number of sources, IRC and various Git sources to name a couple.

I, like others, feel some frustration regarding the lack of information regarding certain aspects of the device and it's characteristics, but I also respect that these guys have put everything on the line to produce their first handset and it makes good commercial sense not tell the world about their innovations to protect the one thing they have; differentiation.

we have all seen how key characteristics of the N9 hardware and UX have made their way to other devices (both Nokia and other manufacturers). Jolla can ill afford to lose any edge before they get a toehold in the market place.

I'd encourage everyone to get on board and do what they can.
If you want certain apps, especially those from individual devs or small dev teams, get in touch and ask them!
so far, I've had nothing but a lot of positivity from these people about their intention to support Jolla, and that's if they've not already!
Funny is when thinking bout it we should be glad Jolla is not here to often because they probadly use they'r time better doing coding

and don''t do like me spending a hell to much freetime on TMO instead of make cool apps for sailfish on my non work time dooh.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish