Hi

I want to compile a PyQt4 application for the N810. So Qt,sip and Pyqt need to be installed inside scratchbox. So I've compiled qt inside scratchbox and is running. But sip and pyqt need real root privileges to do that. Sudo nor fakeroot where the answer.

Getting it over the sources extras and extras-devel doens't work for me yet, because can't connect the scratchbox inside a VM to the net.

export http_proxy=http://anyproxy.de:8080

also ends in an 111 Connection refused error...
What did I miss?

thanks

greetings

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TheTall1 View Post
I want to compile a PyQt4 application for the N810. So Qt,sip and Pyqt need to be installed inside scratchbox. So I've compiled qt inside scratchbox and is running. But sip and pyqt need real root privileges to do that. Sudo nor fakeroot where the answer.

Waaaitaminute. What do you need scratchbox for ? Avoiding scratchbox and the SDK is half of the reason to use PyQt You have two recommended solutions:

a) Just copy over. Literally. If you are not using any specific Maemo API, just install PyQt on your dev machine (mac, win or linux), and when ready, copy the .py file over to your N810 and voila !

b) If you DO need some Maemo API-s to work with, check out Pluthon. Its a custom Eclipse 'mod' that integrates neatly with your N810. You can develop in Eclipse while runing/debugging your code on the device.

You really don't need to go all that fuss in scratchbox. Even if you DO want to use scratchbox, avoid compiling unless you're really sure about what you're doing - the binary packages in extras(-devel) are tried and tested, just fakeroot apt-get install them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Touché

I started with gtk and c but not my way of developing
Then found a nice Calendar Widget in C++ and Qt.
That I'm porting right now to pure python

Why do I worry about scratchbox.... thanks for waking me up.

Just imagined svn on the device and I tried and just installed it.
How better can it get anyhow? Eclipse+PyQt+Svn all problems gone.

Hope they'll never come back.

greetings

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Waaaitaminute. What do you need scratchbox for ? Avoiding scratchbox and the SDK is half of the reason to use PyQt
1) Building a source package for uploading to Extras.
2) Building a binary package for on-device testing before uploading to Extras.
3) Running in the SDK to check interoperation and feel without running on device.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Slight context mismatch, it was about using PyQt, not making/compiling

Tags
pluthon, problem, pyqt, scratchbox